The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (wilbur53, 2 invisible), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
I have a new set of Hastings rings and there are two different comp. rings. One has a bevel on the inside top and one is square, there is no instruction as to which ring goes in which groove. I think the beveled one goes in the second groove but am not sure does anyone know for sure? The box usually identifies this but not this one. Thanks, Scott

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
That link doesn't seem to answer your question. If you don't get an answer tonight, I will dig in to my spare set of rings to see if I can help. They usually have some type of cutaway on the inner top of the top ring to cause the ring to seal better under extreme pressure.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
Thanks, I did look at that already. The Hastings ring with the bevel on the inside is marked with a dot to indicate up. The square ring is not marked and can go either way. This much the instruction sheet does tell me, what I don't know is which one goes in which groove. Thanks Scott

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
Hi Willy.

I put McHenry's piston rings into my '52 216. The beveled ring went into the upper groove with the bevel facing up. The square ring went into the second or middle groove.

McHenry's second ring was not entirely square. It had a very small notch taken from the bottom of the ring that faced downwards. Maybe have a close look at your rings to see if your square rings are truly square, or if they are notched.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Rings with a dot or a "T" on them are installed with the marking toward the top of the piston. Rings with any sort of bevel, chamfer, or other shape on the inside of the ring are "scraper" rings with a dual purpose. They seal compression on the upstroke, and scrape nany oil that gets past the oil ring back toward the crankcase on the sownstroke. Always install those rings in the second groove, with the chamfer or bevel pointing up.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
I tend to agree with Hotrod Lincoln but have also had opposing opinions, so I better wait and call Hastings tomorrow. Thanks for all the input, I'll let you all know what I find out. Scott

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 57
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 57
That second ring is not square, it has a scraper edge. The Hastings link will resolve 'for sure'.{Instructions for ring installation are placed inside the box}

www.hastingsmfg.com/.../compression_​ring_installation.htm


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I checked my spare rings and they are Perfect Circle. They has a notch sround the inside of the top ring and a notch arouns the outside of the second ring.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
Yes the top ring is plain and the second with the bevel is a scraper to aid the oil control ring. Thanks again, Scott


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0