The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Danielbolt, Steelonsteel), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,492
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
The local machine shop says the front drums are to thin to be turned. The drums are attached to the hubs with 3 rivets. I can get a replacement set of front brake drums for $67.00. Question, do I grind the 3 rivets off to seperate the drums and hubs and then just slip the new drums on the lug nuts and leave them as outboard drums as the rear axle is or do I need to rivet the drums back on to the front hubs? The rivets are big ole nubs of rivets. I guess I will need some kind of power tool to seperate them. I am assuming I don't need to replace hubs and drums as a unit. Correct? 1953 chevy, 3100, all stock. Thanks John

Last edited by 53John3100; 05/22/2011 2:12 AM.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Yes, you can replace the drums separatly. Just either grind the heads off the rivets and knock them out with a punch, or you can also drill them out. They do not need to be replaced, the hub and drum were originally riveted together to make assembly at the factory faster.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
sometimes you can just slam the drum down on concrete and the hub will fall out, easy to knock the rivets out of the drums then

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
excellent, thanks I will order the replacement drums. This is the best forum ever if you are a stovebolt owner! Thanks Peggy!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0