| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 164 | The local machine shop says the front drums are to thin to be turned. The drums are attached to the hubs with 3 rivets. I can get a replacement set of front brake drums for $67.00. Question, do I grind the 3 rivets off to seperate the drums and hubs and then just slip the new drums on the lug nuts and leave them as outboard drums as the rear axle is or do I need to rivet the drums back on to the front hubs? The rivets are big ole nubs of rivets. I guess I will need some kind of power tool to seperate them. I am assuming I don't need to replace hubs and drums as a unit. Correct? 1953 chevy, 3100, all stock. Thanks John
Last edited by 53John3100; 05/22/2011 2:12 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Yes, you can replace the drums separatly. Just either grind the heads off the rivets and knock them out with a punch, or you can also drill them out. They do not need to be replaced, the hub and drum were originally riveted together to make assembly at the factory faster.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | sometimes you can just slam the drum down on concrete and the hub will fall out, easy to knock the rivets out of the drums then
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 164 | excellent, thanks I will order the replacement drums. This is the best forum ever if you are a stovebolt owner! Thanks Peggy! | | |
| |
| |