The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hanks custodian, GDW, Peggy M, Rusty Heaps, Shaffer's1950, MNSmith), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#747802 05/17/2011 8:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
I am looking to purchase (black) original style (or as close as possible) shocks for my 57 3100 1/2 ton.
Anyone know where to get any that is close to the orginal look? Are they any good? The ones I bought during the restoration were (blue) cheap China made and one has already failed.

Thank you.

Jon

Last edited by UnklRod; 05/17/2011 9:04 PM.

1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Check with your local auto parts store, Napa, orielly, autozone.

I bought front and rears from autozone for my year truck. They had them on the shelf
If I remember right they were gabriel. Not to expensive. The rears were black, the fronts were red and I painted them black

"Hecho En Mexico"

They seem to be holding up well, no complaints yet.

One good thing about checking locally is that you dont have to pay shipping, you can look at them before you purchase them, and you can take them back if you have a problem.

Check around for your year truck
Good Luck

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
I hear the orginals had a "spiral" design?


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
you might find some NOS original spiral style shocks on e-bay, but I've never heard of a repro or current supplier .... for modern replacements:
front shocks - Monroe 3100 [each] or Gabriel 82047
rear shocks - Monroe "Limited Edition" LE10018 [pair] or Gabriel 82060
['57-'59 3100 uses the same shock as the 3200/3600 on rear]

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Hi Bill,
Was waiting for your your thoughts. Do you think if I found NOS they would still be any good after 50+ years?
I have a friend that has a 54 Chevy and has the spiril style.

I was looking at the " 1957 Factory Assembly Manual" and the pictures of the shocks do not show any kind of spiril.
I will take a look at the ones you talk about above.

Thank you!


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
sheets showing the rear don't show spirals, but Sect 3 sheet 1.00 and sheet 8.00 show the spirals on the front - might even have been that the rears weren't spiral, I can't recall now if that was the case, but I'm sure they more a 'light duty' shock, they were used on most GM cars

NOS shocks that've been well stored should be fine, although that doesn't mean they'll last as long as a modern set, there's some rubber in/on them that may have deteriorated ... OTOH there are folks out there who rebuild them, M&S Hydraulics might, and check under Chev parts in Hemmings - here's one in Kansas: [email protected] 913-268-5314 .... of course you'll need to find some originals for rebuilding

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I just bought a 56 & it still has the original spiral shocks. I pulled the rear ones off & they feel real good. I am painting them. & am going to reuse them. I havn't got to the front yet.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Thank you Bill for the links.
Forgot to ask what spirals do for a shock?

Wrenchbender,
Would you mind posting a photo of those shocks?

Thank you!

Last edited by UnklRod; 05/19/2011 2:14 AM.

1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
YIKES!
Those are pricey! Maybe I don't need them that bad....

Thank you "Cletis"


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
the spirals don't "do" anything, that's just the way Delco made them for awhile ohwell

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Give the modern Monroe or Gabrieals a try

Your pancreas will thank you, and your pocket book

JMHO thumbs_up

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I have a photo of the spiral shock if you still want to see it. I can send it E-mail. George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Hi George,

[email protected]

Thank you!

Jon


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Would shocks from a 1960 thru 62 1/2 Chevy fit?
There are a pair of rear ones on E-Bay.

Thanks guys!


Last edited by cletis; 05/20/2011 6:48 PM. Reason: removed Ebay link

1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
have to ask the seller, who seems to be a specialist wink


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
No they will not fit.


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Hi Bill,
Contacted the person you found in Hemmings.
He wants $800 for all 4 shocks. Bit too much for my pocket book right now.


Thanks!

Last edited by UnklRod; 05/25/2011 1:45 AM.

1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0