| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (klhansen, ronsway, 1 invisible),
165
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,213 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 | I am in a bit of a pickle. I need some part numbers for the front outer wheel bearings on my 1949 6400. I have tried crossing the hyatt numbers, but no one can help me. Anyone have those numbers handy. Also, do I have to replace both inner and outer because the new bearings are not the "barrel" design? Thanks guys......Also, don't be an idiot like me and assume the last owner of your truck had repacked the wheel bearings! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | What are the Hyatt numbers? I have an conversion book that converts to roller bearings. The outer bearings are not to hard to find. If it is the inner one with the offset for the seal, it can be replaced with a Timken, but it is expensive. If you go to a tapered bearing on the outside, you need the cup and the cone, but if your inner bearing is still good, reuse it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 476 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 476 | When I tryed to order a Timken to replace my Hyatt inner bearing on my 46 COE they said it would be like $1000 dollars and have to be made! I found a used one in a junk yard for $15. This is the type that the grease seal runs on the shoulder of the bearing. There must be a another souce for a new one some place. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 | The inner bearings look ok. Weird bearing set-up on the inner bearing.....the outer bearing basically fell apart. I think the number on the race was hyatt 11020. I went through the books at O'Reillys where I have an account. Basically, it didn't list anything. Judging from the remains of the old bearing in the hub I guess the outer bearing is also a taper roller bearing. I couldn't find the correct bearing so I had to make something work. I think I'll post a seperate thread about my handi-work.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy davesmith, I'm not positive about these numbers as my crossover book for bearings doesn't include a lot of the NDH Barrel bearing numbers. I think the assembly number for the tapered roller bearing replacement is KA-11035-Z, the components of that bearing are Bower p/ns 15579A and 15522A, you could have your bearing guys look up those bearings for dimensions to verify that they are indeed the correct size for your application, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | The 15579A and 15522A is the correct cup and cone for your application. They are still available, but they are not cheap. Since they are roller bearings, you have to replace cup and cone together. If the inner bearing is still good you can reuse it. See what kind of deal you can get on the above cited cup and cone. If its out of your budget, there is nothing wrong with a used bearing if its still good. | | |
| |
| |