| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,417 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 | Hi guys, I just bought my brand new(to me) RUSTY 1959 1/2 ton stepside. I will be getting the frame straightened(not that bad in bed area not engine or cab). I was going to CLR/wire wheel my frame but quickly realized that will take forever especially with a 1 yr old at home. I found a good deal with is $450 for sandblasting and powder coating frame.
My question is do I remove the rivets for this or will they be fine?
This is not an all out restoration. Just want to take care of rust and get her running again. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I would leave the rivets right where they are. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 | Brothers sells a frame bolt kit but I had my doubts about bolts vs rivets just bein a lil paranoid about any rust between rivets and the metal theyre touching....But I am leaning towards leaving it, just wanted to get some more opinions on the idea. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Leave them. I had mine powdercoated and have no regrets. Never crossed my mind to unrivet everything... and now that you've brought it up I'm sure I did the right thing.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | It would take you a lifetime to remove all those rivets, and everyone is right, leave them. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I took all the bolts out but not one single rivet. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 | Got it thanks guys. I like removing all bolts but not rivets! Thanks Again! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Unless you are planning on upgrades like Auto Tranny and rearend etc. leave the rivets alone. BTW that price is very good.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 15 | I took the rivets out for the running board brackets, only because two were bent, then took out the ones for the cab mounts because they shared rivets. I had the brackets and mounts coated a different color and reassembled with grade 10 3/8 NF bolts. If I hadn't needed to replace any of those parts, I would have left it intact. | | |
| |
| |