The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Was curious how many are using the 250 cid harmonic balancer that has been machined to run on the 235/261 engine?

I recently purchased this setup....the 250 H/B is machined to fit the 235/261 and a second groove is added in front of the original groove.

Was wondering if you had the machined balancer "rebalanced", and if there should be any concern about the "fit" on the crankshaft snout?

Would appreciate your comments.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I'll be getting mine from Buffalo Ent. this Sat. He's about an hour drive North on I-5. It's good excuse to take the truck for a nice ride. When I get it, I'm going to take it to the machine shop to get it balanced with the flywheel/pressure plate, crank, and crank gear as an assembly. He's also weight balancing the pistons and the rods. I'll know more about the fit in a week or 2.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Sounds like a fun trip....I've finally located a shop that can "re-balance" the balancer. I've already had the entire assembly spun..engine re-assembled....didn't have the new H/B so they went with the stock unit. Found the rods were mismatched....13 grams out...replaced them. That would have been a real rattler!!!!

I ran into a problem with getting it checked or balanced at local shops. Their center core shafts were all too large (1-1/8") for the cones to center the (1-1/4"ID) balancer. Finally found a guy this afternoon who says he can do it!

As for balancing...I'm a firm believer! "I know it's only an old truck engine"....but it's done, I know that my internals are all matched and that it will be smooth!!!

Have a good safe trip...please mention to Steve that I've found a balancer source, if you would.

Thanks,

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0