The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hanks custodian, dt235sd, 3800GUY), 166 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,205
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
In an effort to learn as fast as I can, and avoid a newbie mistake like running 30 some miles on varnished fuel... ohwell

Do I need to worry about the rear gears on my '65 C30? Any kind of maintenance I should do before expecting to high tail it for hour long roadtrips?

Can my truck make hours long trips? (It has a later ~74 292 under the hood.) Or is this strictly a Lowes/Builder's Supply trip truck? (Which is fine, I just want to understand the truck.)

It has so far run along at 60 with just a bit of room left on the accelerator. It takes it a bit to get there (no tire burning here)...but she doesn't scream or shudder or anything.

I am assuming the tranny is original...it's a four speed with granny and has the PTO hooked up to the hydraulics.

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
Ya may wanna change out the fluids & see what they look like. the goop that came out of my diff did not look like oil, it looked like someone packed the rear end with chocolate frosting about 20 years ago & called it good. Nasty stuff!
Lots of moisture in there, but thankfully there was enough oil in it to coat everything & keep the corrosion down. I'm still betting the abilities of that stuuf as a lubricant weren't real good.
Generaly a good idea to change all the fluids in any vehicle you're new to, ya never know when the last time they were done.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Freq2002, has it right and you never know what you might find. I change the fluids in my cars and trucks when I get them. I did that on my 63 C20 when I got it. It had 80k on the speedo and 20K on a rebuilt 292. I made 2 or 3 trips from the San Francisco Bay to Las Vegas 530 miles one way with a cabover before the rebuilt cracked the block and I had oil in the water lasted another 5k till the thermostat stuck.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 22
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 22
I would also make sure your seals dont leak, before you go on a long trip, I had cecked my rear oil and it was more like a paste, I dont think anyone had changed it since 66, Thats why I have to rebuild the rear end now. Its not in good shape at all, I dont want to see that happen if it can be helped. I would also make sure all the rubber is good like the wheel cylinders and brake lines. good luck!


if its not broke....you didn't drive it hard enough!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Not totally relevant, but . . .

a friend is restoring a 41 Diamond T truck. His MANUAL instructs that the pumpkin (differential) is drained through a bolt hole at the bottom, and filled through a bolt hole at the top. In otherwords, unscrew on of the 12 or so bolts at the bottom, drain the oil, put bolt back, pull a bolt at top, fill from there, replace bolt.

Not sure why they even BOTHER putting a "drain plug" on it. The manual says the correct level is ABOVE THE PLUG, anyway. Weird.

Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Not really, Michael. To get the correct level you fill it with gear oil until it starts to slobber, then stick the plug back in. And when you recheck the level all you should have to do is loosen the plug until it almost comes out, and see the seepage. Then your level is correct.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0