The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (68ironhead, Otto Skorzeny, Jerry 53), 72 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,489
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
What's the best timing light..cost and function for a stovebolt 235? I've got a 53 splashy and a 55. I know its like asking what the best oil is... but I need to buy one and need advice.

Last edited by ADspudnut; 04/13/2011 7:42 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

53 and 55 6v or 12v?

Both are 6-cylinder engines?

If you want a 12v powered timing light, you might have to use a 12 external battery to power the timing light with a 6v truck.

I have an old neon timing light that works with 6v/12v (I think that most/all xenon lights need 12v?).

Actually, on my 235 and 261 engines, I time to maximum vacuum at idle, Then, I fine adjust using the "ping" technique.


Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Thanks Tim. Both are 12 volt 6 cylinders I have a vacuum gauge. Do I just hook that on the vacuum advance line at the carburetor? That'll save money if I dont have to buy timing light.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Attach the vacuum gauge to the port on the side of the intake manifold that is used by the vacuum wiper motor.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Thanks for the advice Tim and the link you added for the ping technique helped alot.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0