The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (wilbur53, burgundybolt, Jack Ryan, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
I was told that a 235 (54) would fit in a 216 if the third journal was turned down .30 . Does anyone have any information about this topic?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is the width of the #3 216 bearing & block web that is to wide for the 235 crank.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
In addition, you won't be able to use a commercial piston since the 216 deck is too short.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
Thank you. I'll give this information to my CNC Machine Shop. They'll need it. I did find a new in the box 235 crank.
Normbc9

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
Thanks for this information my friend. I'll get the correct dimensions and give my friends at Venolia a call. The did all of my old Wayne twelve port GMC 302 piston work. I'll bet they have done this before too.
Normbc9

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
venolia will make pistons for this, as well as ross, however if you are an inliners member Ross will give you a 10% discount. Also the rod journals are narrower than the 216, you have to use 54 up rods, but at some point after 54 (I'm not sure what year) there was an extra boss on the rods that make them so they won't clear the camshaft. Even at that you have to use a 235 camshaft which will have reliefs (flat spots) between some of the lobes to get the rods to clear the cam. I had to regrind the lobes and grind the journals to fit in the small bore of the 216, but then I had a custom grind from Howard cams, stock pre 54 235 cams should fit fine.just look for the relieved areas

Last edited by brokenhead; 04/14/2011 3:02 AM.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
Thanks Borkenhead.
I just happen to have a new '54 Corvette six cam here in my shop. I'm new to Inliners but the Ross tip is important. Money doesn't grow on trees for us retired guys. The rods shouldn't be a problem. Is there a particular rod part number you can call to mind for me to search for? I do have a head that was rebuilt by a shop in New Jersey for a '54 Corvette six too. I also happen to have a triple side draft manifold for that head too. Finding those is now a real chore.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I am not sure what the numbers are, just that there is an issue. Also use a 54 oil pump and pickup (has a built in pressure regulator) you have to remove all the troughs and nozzles from the pan. There are a couple of ways to go from here. You can just plug the hole where the nozzles spigot is. I am going with a full flow filter which involves plugging the original inlet to the block and rerouting the oil flow through the oil spigot hole pretty much backwards through a filter and back to the main gallery, from there you can tee off to the rocker arms, I am using a hydraulic flow control valve to regulate oil to the rocker arms. plug the REAR main gallery with a threaded plug, NOT the front one as that is where the timing gears get oil. You can look at it all for a while as there is a few other things you can do. Pre68dave has boxes of 235 rods for a very reasonable price.(he is a very nice fella) Actually he is who I got my 54 oil pump pickup from


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0