| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#73766 02/23/2007 4:47 AM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Well I've planned everything out so far. IFS, 10 bolt rear with a TCI spring kit, a Chevy 350 HO crate engine with a Phoenix 700R4 tranny. OVERLOOKED IS THE DRIVESHAFT! Where do I go for that?
~Jim
| | |
#73767 02/23/2007 6:04 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | A google search for "drive shaft + dallas" turned up 2 shops. | | |
#73768 02/23/2007 7:07 AM | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Theres the "Drive Shaft King" arcoss from the main post office down 35, I took mine to him when one of the ends busted and they did great work with a fair price.
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | |
#73769 02/23/2007 9:59 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Get a yoke that will fit the trans. Put it in the trans. & pull it back about an inch. Sometimes you can see the mark where the seal was riding. Raise the vehicle & put stands under the rear axle so it will be setting at driveing heigth. Measure from the center of where the U-joint will be at the trans to the same at the rear end. Take the yoke & old driveshaft to the trans. with the measurement & they will build it for you. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#73770 02/24/2007 5:58 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | OK I understand the prochedure for fitting and cutting, I have done that years ago on a 48 chevy business coupe (wish I still had that) I dropped a 57 Olds Rocket with tranny in. I guess my question is, with the 700R4 tranny and the 10 bolt rear, can I pick up a driveshaft from a camaro at a junk yard and expect the yoke and u-joint to fit? I understand to check the length to make sure it is not too short.
~Jim
| | |
#73771 02/24/2007 8:34 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 | I used a junkyard driveshaft. Measured and had them cut to lenght and weld on a new end. Just make sure it's long enough to be cut or maybe you'll get lucky and it will be the right size. | | |
#73772 02/24/2007 9:52 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The yoke splines are the same from the late 60,s on up except for the 400 trans. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#73773 02/24/2007 11:39 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Thanks Wrenchbender Ret. and Apachefiend. That is what I needed.
~Jim
| | |
#73774 02/25/2007 12:55 AM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 65 | Make sure you get a trans yolk with the same style joint that the rear uses. GM used external and internal snap rings on the u-joints and a 10 bolt could have either style depending on the year of the donor vehicle. If you have the inside snap ring yolk on the rear remember to install the snap rings on the caps that fit on the diff yolk, they center the joint. Good luck.
Sean
doing what you love is happiness loving what you do is freedom
| | |
| |
| |