| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 | I got this GMC 248 motor that I'm getting ready to fire up from a long sleep. It has an external canister filter setup. For now I wanna just take it off and also the flex lines off of the block. Can I just put plugs in on the block? I'll eventually put the canister back on 'cause it's really cool looking. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | why do you want to remove it? depending on how long its been asleep you might want to pull the valve cover and pop the dist. out and run up some oil to the bearings and rockers. as for plugging the lines you can do that. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 | I'm definitely going to prime the oil. I wanna remove the canister temporarily 'cause the lines are shot and needs to be replaced. I don't want buy new lines if the motor isn't any good. The motor has been setting a long time. Thanks for the quick reply. john.
Last edited by steppenwood; 04/08/2011 1:05 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | If you are just going to start it, it is probably better you plug the line that goes to the filter and if it has a piece of flex in the line going to the gauge, its not a bad idea to plug it too because the pieces of flex are brittle and may break. Don't plug the line going to the head because that oils the rockers. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | Not too critical, but the oil return may actually lube the distributer gear. You could bypass it. | | |
| |
| |