| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,468 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 70 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 70 | Quick Question - what are bolters doing to repair broken parking brake cable clamp/brackets on AD trucks?
On my '53, the clamp broke on this cast metal bracket/clamp - I MIG welded and hand filed mine back into shape and am able to get the cable into the clamp and torque it down, but the first time I pulled the emergency brake, the cable hose slipped and now I am not confident that my repair will hold/clamp properly and that if I tighten the bolt more, it may just break the clamp again.
Any fixes (I started thinking about using a hose clamp and rigging something up, but not sure if that is wise)?...
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | I did not have the same problem with mine ,mine clamped up tight ,but you could take some thin metal say a pc. of 18ga. and wrap it around you're brake cable to add to the dia. than clamp it up tight or go on the parts wanted and get a "new" set of clamps .
Pete | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I have one new cable and it was slightly smaller in diameter. I made a couple of shims out of 20 gauge metal , wedged them in and pulled on the brake. The cable wedged in there and it will never move. The clamp I did up afterwards. My only problem will be if I need to take it apart. The force on the cable I would guess to be over 1000 lbs. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 | Marklaken, I'm completely unfamiliar with the part you are working on but I assume it's cast iron or else welding it would be no problem. There is a "miracle" stick welding electrode that very effectively welds any ferrous metal, even dissimilar ferous metals.
It is manufactured by Harris and is called "Super Missileweld". I know, a grandstanding name, but the stuff is really unbelievable and will even work with an AC buzzbox.
The stuff is pricey and pro welding shops keep it locked up because it makes such beautiful beads that everyone wants to use it because the bead appearance makes anyone look like a master welder.
Ray
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I am not sure which of the bracket/clamps you are talking about. If it is the bracket where the cable enters the rear brake housing - just buy a new one.
Last edited by cletis; 04/09/2011 4:23 AM. Reason: removed parts offer
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 341 | I broke one trying to get the old rusted cable out. Since I didn't have a way to weld it I purchased a pair of used ones on ebay from Jimbo. I had to grind the rivet heads off and bolt on the 'new' old one. It worked out good.
Allan ----- 1951 GMC 1/2-ton Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Not sure about loction of bracket on small trucks. On big bolts the forward cable clamp and bracket is mounted underside of forward rear spring hanger mount. I broke one on my 38 tried using a clamp it wouldn't hold it tight enough to keep cable housing from moving. | | |
| |
| |