The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Steelonsteel, TUTS 59, Jon G, Swami29, 4 invisible), 61 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,637
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 99
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 99
I am writing this question on behalf of my brother-in-law. He has a motor home that is powered by a 454. It just blew at least 2 and maybe 3 pistons. He is considering replacing just these failed pistons, rings, etc. The engine shows about 65,000 miles but is 15-20 years old. Its past maintenance, storage history and use is unknown.
Last summer he had it out in west Texas from Michigan and had to have a new, larger radiator fabricated to get the tempature down into an acceptable operating range. Previously it had always been runnig very hot but never boiled over. He wants to rebuild while the engine is still in the motorhome. To pull engine he would have to first pull it up into motorhome and then out the door.

I told him that before he does all that work on just those 2 or 3 cylinders he should consider the following:

1. Power difference in these rebuilt cylinders vs. the other 5 or 6 that would not be rebuilt could cause problems with balance, power, another weak link, etc.

2. Having to go back in again to do other cylinders would double labor and consumable parts like gasket kits and other parts not related to the dead cylinder(s).

I have no dog in this fight. I just don't want him to be penny wise and pound foolish. If I am way off base in concerns just tell me so, I have very thick skin and can take the heat!

Thanks to all,

Bob

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
What does he mean by failed pistons? I'd think knowing the pistons are failed means the heads have already been pulled off, and getting the rest of the motor out might not be that big of deal.

On my motorhome I could remove the motor out the front rather than through the passenger compartment.

Also it would make sense to understand why it was running hot to make sure that problem is addressed before spending much on fixing the motor. It would be too bad to spend those bucks only to find the problem was caused by excess heat.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 17
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 17
I agree ith OldSub! BB's do not like heat. My past experience with BB's is drop valves. I would find a way to pull, tear down & see at what extent of the damage is. Good luck!

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 112
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 112
do it once....do it right... he'll be sorry if he half a$$'$ it....

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy J D Bob and guys, I agree with you, we have to know why they failed, and how close to failure are the rest of them. It's time to take the engine out and take it completely apart to evaluate what you actually have, you will be a lot happier in the long run, knowing exactly what kind of shape all the parts are in, do a quality job now, hope that helps.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
That would be near impossible to do with it in the chassis. There vis a huge crossmember under it. I would get a reman from either Jaspers or G.M. They are expensive but so is breaking down on the highway. Burnt pistons are usually from too much spark timing.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0