The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73417 02/17/2007 9:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
When I started my rebuilt 261 up last weekend, I found two small leaks in the oil filter lines that I had installed. One was at the outlet on the filter bracket going back to the engine and the other was at the rear connection returning to the block. Knew that I would need to fix them so decided that instead of using the rubber filter relocation lines that I installed when the engine was out of the truck, I was going to put it back in stainless steel. Uploaded a few new pictures on the engine rebuild album. No leaks now!

http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
No Leaks....that's good! Think I will follow your lead and go with the hard stuff. Was hoping you wouldn't have problems but the short lines and bends, with tension on the fittings had me wondering. Hope my 235 will be out of the builders in a week.

A couple questions....did you use compression or flared fittings and are there local suppliers who stock the stainless stuff or do you have to mail order out? Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Dave;
I used Yor-Lok double compression 316 SST fittings which I bought from www.mcmaster.com. Look for the fittings that begin with the stock number 5182K. Those fittings are like Swagelok fittings in that they have a front and a rear fitting. Out of all the ones I used on my fuel, water and now oil, not one leak. Also got my stainless tubing from McMaster. You want the seamless type (either 304 or 316) with a .035 wall. The fittings aren't too cheap (a 3/8" male adapter is abut $9), but they will last a lifetime. Most importantly, get a really good tubing bender (Impreial Eastman makes a nice one that does 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 inch). Good luck!


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Thanks...you saved me a bunch of hunting. Like you say "will last a lifetime"....that makes it worth the extra expense.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0