Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Otto Skorzeny, Charles in CA, LAROKE, Wally / Montana),
137
guests, and
6
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,221 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 | I have been working on and off on a '53 3800 for a few years. I am looking for brake parts now. It was my grandfathers truck and sat for about 30 years before I started on it. The drums and shoes are there, but the adjusters, hold down clips, and springs were nothing but powder. I can't find these parts in any of the magazines or at my local napa. Is there a place I can find the hardware for these brakes? I need hardware for all 4 wheels. I think '53 was the first year for the bendix style brakes. Thanks for any help,
Josh | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 | Josh,if you post this in the parts wanted you will get more response.
_____________ Floyd If we choose being kind over being right,we will be right every time. Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience. Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it is precious nonetheless. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 74 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2010 Posts: 74 | I'm parting out a '53 3800, so I can probably help you out. I should have everything you need from the front. I think the rear end on my truck was switched out at some point, so I probably can't help you on the rear. I sent you a pm with some questions. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Pa Farmer, if your truck has 12" brakes all around then these Raybestos numbers should get your brake shoes under control adjusting screw spring H407 axle set $4.84 at Rock Auto hold down kit H4094 axle set $3.67 at Rock Auto return spring H130 axle set $4.15 at Rock Auto, hope that helps,if you need anything else, or if you have the 14" rear brakes let us know and I'll see what I can dig up. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 | Thanks, those numbers will work for the front. It does have 14" brakes on the back, do you have numbers for them? I tried to look it up on the Raybestos web site but could not find it. Thanks for any help, Josh | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Pa Farmer, if you have any springs from the 14" rear brakes remaining and you could measure them, or tell us the colour of them [if there is any colour left] then I could try and look them up that way. The Raybestos online catalog doesn't list them. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Pa Farmer, I found a one ton diff. and managed to get one drum off to take spring measurements. After crossing part numbers from United to Raybestos [because Raybestos does not list the lengths of their springs in my catalog], I came up with Raybestos p/n H140, axle set, brake shoe return spring $5.90 at Rock Auto Raybestos p/n H407, axle set, adjusting screw spring $4.84 at Rock Auto, hope that helps, if you need anything more, just ask. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 | Thanks, that should get me going, except a hold down kit for the rear. I tried the raybestos web site, and can find the part numbers you gave, but when I look up '53 3800 chevys I can't find any hardware. 3 of my adjusters are good, but one wheel had sat pretty low in the ground, and the adjuster is gone. Are new available, or do I need to find a used one? Thanks again, Josh
Last edited by Pa Farmer; 03/29/2011 11:20 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Pa Farmer, Hold down kit should be Raybestos p/n H4020 axle set $3.37 u.s. at Rock Auto, Adjuster rear Raybestos p/n H1508 $6.34 u.s. at Rock Auto Adjuster front Raybestos p/n H1500 $5.35 u.s. at Rock Auto in future please make a list of all you wish to find, and give as much info as you can, front/rear, drum sizes etc., hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 54 | Thanks for the help, I'd been having a tough time with the brakes, but now I'm in pretty good shape. Josh | | |
| |