| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 | What are you guys using to treat your wood flatbeds. I'm going to be installing 2x6 T&G fir in the next week or so and am wondering about what to treat it with. Should I treat the boards prior to installing?
Has anyone used the Torx self tapping decking screws on an 40's vintage flatbed. I have a hard time believing the self tapping screws are going to tap through that C Channel.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | We use these self tapping screws on our trailer floors. http://www.imperialsupplies.com/items.asp?item=0692940 We start out by drilling a 17/64" hole through the wood and the cross member. We then have a bit that drills the wood to 5/16" and countersinks it. This can also be accomplished by drilling a 5/16" hole in the wood and using 1/2" bit to make the countersink. Our cross members are tempered steel and we have been repairing floors for 40 years. I would have fears that the 1/4" decking screws you see at bumper pull trailer dealers are made to screw into cross members that are barely thicker than a beer can. The floor screws I describe can be bought at any dealer that sells semi trailers. We don't put anything on our floors in our dry vans. On flatbeds, I still like mopping linseed oil on on a hot day. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | Ken,
What did they do originally on the factory beds (like that Task Force-era bed I'm working on)? Did they use metal strips like the pickup beds, or did they just put carriage bolts through each board? Or something else??
Thanks, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | It all depended on the body manufacturer John. Soome did use the steel strips between the boards but most used self tapping screws. Generally they were Phillips head. I've had very good results using 1/4" Torq head screws in crossmembers up to 10ga. and Jr Ibeams. Above that ou'd need something heavier. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I started hauling grain in the 60's and in those days the used bob tails for field trucks. They either dumped into the pit at the elevator or were raised with a hoist. It took over an hour to load 1000 bu of grain, so I saw the floor of a lot of truck floors. A few floors had strips, but most had self tapping screws. I don't think torx came out until the 70's. The ones we used were Phillips. In those days, we used a bit and brace to screw them in. I always found me a big ole boy to push down on the brace to keep pressure on the Phillips head. I prefer 5/16" over 1/4" because I have seen a few 1/4" break during installation. They are so hard, its almost impossible to drill them out and you usually wind up with the hole being too big and then you have a hole in the floor. Once installed, the extra strength isn't needed. In order to remove an old floor, I go to a hole in the wood to start. There is usually a hole or you wouldn't be reflooring it in the first place. I then use an old fashioned grubbing hole and chop between the wood and the crossmember and it will cut the old bolts right off flush with the cross member. Another reason I use 5/16" is that if I happen to hit an old bolt when I drill, there will still be enough there for the threads. The remains of the old bolts are usually soft enough to drill. I don't think carriage bolts through the wood were ever factory. I think that was a country boy fix. I'm not sure if carriage bolts at the end of the boards was factory or if someone put them there during reflooring to give the boards more protection against warping. The use of strips or countersunk bolts was then and is still so that things can be slid across the floor. I use an Isuzu bobtail to transport bottled water on pallets from Costco to my place. The Isuzu is too low for dock height, so they push the pallets in, and when I get to my place, I chain them to the rear and then fork lift them off. | | |
| |
| |