The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (crenwelge), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,489
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#731278 03/19/2011 5:03 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 59
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 59
Hello
I am considering swapping the sm420 in my 66 1 ton for a NV4500. I have been told that some versions used in step vans and other larger trucks have a trans mounted park brake. Does anyone know if this is true? Also I would really appreciate some advice from someone that has done this swap. I am more interested improving gas mileage than top end speed and since this truck is a work truck I need to stick with a heavy duty tranny and low geared rear (4:56) Thanks...

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I've done the swap in earlier trucks. My 59 had a sm420, so for all intents and purposes, it is the same swap.

YOU WILL WANT TO USE THE 1994-1997 DODGE 2WD VERSION OF THE NV4500. This version does not have the parking brake. The dodge NV4500 has a 1 inch longer pilot shaft than the gm version. This allows you to use a 1 inch adapter between the bellhousing and transmission. By using the adapter, most of your clutch linkage can be used.

You don't mention what engine you have (I'll assume a SBC). The adapter plate Advance Adapters sells is for a truck that was originally equipped with a sm465, not a sm420. The difference is the bearing retainer hole size. The sm465 bellhousings were indexed to 5.125 inches, while the sm420 bellhousings are indexed to 4.686 inches. The adapter plate is indexed to 5.125 inches. You have a few options... bore your bellhousing out to 5.125 inches, use a 1968 and later bellhousing that is already 5.125 inches, turn the indexing lip on the adapter plate down on a lathe, or make your own adapter.

As for the parking brake, you are on your own. I'm sure Grigg has a few ideas for you. There are companies that will swap tailhousings around on the NV4500, so you could have a dodge front and a gm rear and get the brake. You will have to convert the electronic speedometer signal to mechanical with an aftermarket device.


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0