| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Greg_H),
119
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,102 Posts1,056,184 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 37 | I am attempting to remove the ball from the steering arm on my '56 3100 so that I can upgrade the tie rod and ends. I have read the tech tips and read through the old postings on this topic. To no avail, I can't remove it.
The steering arm has been removed from the truck. I have ground off the peening from the back side. I have a 3/8" hole drilled almost the complete distant of the ball stud. Still no movement. Now I have starting grinding the hole bigger with a dremel tool but don't want to go to far and ruin the steering arm. What is the thickness of the sterring arm???
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Kent S Butler '56 Chevy 3100 Houston, TX
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Kent Butler, put the steering arm on something solid, an anvil would be a good choice and drive the old ball stud out with a punch and hammer, probably a two man job, one to hold the steering arm, and one to do the pounding, support as much of the arm as you can. The alternative would be to use a press to remove the ball stud. You can use a "little heat" to help you with this task, but not so much that you can see the arm change colour, good luck, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | On the back end of the hole, there is a shallow step that is drilled slightly larger than the main hole diameter. If you cut that out, it will come out easily. It is probably 1/16" or less deep. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Heat in a vise and use a punch and big hammer,it will come out.
Tim 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 37 | Thanks for the feedback. I put it in the vise and got the wife to stand on it. She is a lightweight so it took a couple of tries. Finally got it out. Now the next problem, I ground into the wall with the dremel tool. Did I just ruin the steering arm?? I can always post a pick if need too. I was using the pictures that Denny Graham posted http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/121615912/largeThe diameter of mine was not even close (much narrower), Hope I didn't ruin the steering arm otherwise I will be on the hunt for one. Is there any difference between right and left steering arms?? Thanks again,
Kent S Butler '56 Chevy 3100 Houston, TX
| | |
| |
| |