The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (KEVINSKI, mick53, 55shaker, Peggy M, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MickeyP, 1 invisible), 148 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,137
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72507 01/30/2007 3:42 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I
Apprentice
Apprentice
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I'm a newby, but I'm looking for some advice. I have a 53 3100 with recently rebuilt 235. Want to put an automatic behind it, mainly to be a simple cruiser and some highway travel. Need the automatic because I'm a right leg above knee amputee. Which trany would you recommend and with what rear end ratio? :confused:

#72509 01/30/2007 8:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 427
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 427
I agree with toomany on the trans part, but if your running tall tires then I would recommend a taller 3's rear like maby 3:42 or 3:55.
The low 3's would put you really low on the final ratio and cause the trans to kick in and out of O.D. all the time.


1950 Chevy p\u 3100. lt1 Corvette powered.
Owner\ autoglass unlimited/Ultra Clear Body Shield
Cowboys creo: taste your words before you spit them out
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/getm24_2000/
#72510 01/30/2007 9:26 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I'd personally go with the 700R4, they're much more common and have a better 1rst gear for in town driving. I do agree with wilbur on the final gear. I have an S10 wiht a 700r4 in it and 4.10 gears, the gearing doesn't hurt it at all in o/d at highway speed.


Bill Burmeister
#72511 01/30/2007 10:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It,s pretty tough to put one behind the 235. You need a special adapter. How about changing to a v-8 or 63 up 6 cyl.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#72512 01/31/2007 3:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I have 3.08 gears in the rear of two of my vehicles.

My GMC Suburban with a 270 with a SM420 runs down the highway at speed just fine and without seeming to strain the motor. That's with no OD.

The other one has overdrive and runs 70 at 3000 direct, and 2000 when in OD. Its a 350 V-8 so its not a good comparison to the 235, but the OD is programmed so it just stays there unless I want it to shift.

I would not be afraid of running 3.08 gears if you don't plan to tow a trailer or carry heavy loads. If you'll be running it loaded very heavy you'll be locking it in direct, or wishing you had lower gears.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#72513 01/31/2007 9:44 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I
Apprentice
Apprentice
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I really appreciate all the ideas. Thanks for the advice. I wanna stick with the 235 for now, mainly because its paid for, and if something goes wrong with it, I can always update or rebuild then. I was leaning to the 700R4 and I like the idea of rearend in the high 3's. Thanks again! smile


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0