The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#725047 02/27/2011 9:30 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
Rather than blasting my frame (the rust is not scaling, just surface rust) how about black rust reformer? Anyone have experience with this?

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
You didn't say what this stuff will cost to do a whole frame, or doesn't cost enter the picture.
Ther are lots of products out there, some are proven to be good,and some yet to be proven.

What do you want...something that will last 40 years, cheap, easy,or any of the other variables that play into getting the end result.

What I'm saying is...the end result has to be known in order to pick a product or method to achieve it.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
I don't need it to be better than when it was manufactured, but want it to be black and stay black for the forseeable future. There won't be any mirrors under it but I don't want it to look like garbage either, and it will be driven. It is about $90 a gallon and will do the whole frame with lots left over. I have seen it used just not for this application and was looking to see if anyone has used it and what results they had.

Last edited by wanderinwillys; 03/02/2011 2:28 AM.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
a quart will cover 50 sq ft, which is plenty to do a frame...myself however refuse to recoat anything over rust, I dont care what the cans say. pay a shop 200 bux and have em blast it, you will be glad you did it right.


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
I don't know about that product, sounds like a rust converter. Sounds like the one advertised on AgDay, which comes from the Rust Guy.
I think the question is...can u rely on the product doing what it's advertised to do....and then for how long.

I don't know the extent of ur rust, but if it was me and I didn't want to go full boat and blast, I would wire brush the the frame and paint with Rustoleum red primer, 2 coats, and then top coat it with 2 coats enamel.
Now I know that will go the distance because I did it to a frame back in the 70's and it's still on the frame looking decent except for a few rock chips.

Beyond that u can spend bigger bucks and use different products like Chassis Saver and Por15 which are supposed to be better, but I have yet to hear about any proof that it holds up any better 35 years later.
I guess we will have to wait a few years to prove the outcome and I imagine they will hold up just as well if not better, the only difference is the cost.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 78
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 78
I used eastwood ceramic chassis black but I had it dipped and then I primed and painted. If I was going to paint over light rust then I would use POR 15 which stands for Paint Over Rust. The used frame I bought had been por15 and set out on the ground in Michigan for years and the stuff still pretty solid.


1951 chevy 3100 short bed frame off resto.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I sanded our frame by hand, lots of time, but I have lots of that. I then primed and painted it!!

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 34
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 34
I had a frame blasted and powdercoated. 450 bucks. Saves alot of time and looks great.


The best things in life are FREE!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0