The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, BC59, Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22
Hi All

I have a 5.4 final drive diff with 10 lug wheels at the back with the massive brakehubs in my 51 2 ton equivilent.

I also have aquired an 8 lug rear end from a 4.5 ratio dually 1 ton. (or 1.5, Im not sure). The spring hangers are spaced the same but I want to keep the rear rims and big brakes.

Is it possible to take out the half shafts and brakes from the 5.4 rear end and put them into the 4.5 housing and have it slide into the splines perfectly. The diff centres are non swappable between the two as they are different shapes. The housings are the same witdth.

Happy to put up pics of the two if need be.

Cheers

Damo

Last edited by dmulally; 02/19/2011 8:12 AM.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I don't have any half axles out, but I am quite sure the half axles in a 2 ton are larger in diameter than the 1 ton. If you have a 5.43 (38-7) you are very fortunate. They are hard to find. I would put some larger tires on it and be done with it. It will go as fast as you want to go. I looked in the parts book, and there are 2 pages of different half axle sizes listed, so it is very unlikely the change you want to make is possible.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 22
Thanks mate. I might still rip them out and compare and post back in case anybody else is interested.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0