The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, papas52), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
Can someone offer advice on the best way to adjust manual drum brakes (for my 62 K20)?

I replaced most of the brake system this weekend to include master cylinder, wheel cylinders, front drum, had the rears turned, and new shoes all around.

After getting everything back together, bleeding it out and fiddling with the adjusters, it's much better, but still not quite right. It pulls a bit and I seem to be going around in circles making adjustments.

What's the trick?


I wouldn't recommend drugs, alcohol, and violence to anyone...but they've worked well for me.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 118
On mine I had wheel on, in the air tightened till brakes dragged heavy , to nearly impossible to turn by hand and then back off 7 clicks.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
Thanks, Ken. Is there any order (front to rear, left to right) to the madness?


I wouldn't recommend drugs, alcohol, and violence to anyone...but they've worked well for me.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I like the tighten-them-up first part but I would back them off until the wheels turn freely, you still may hear a little scraping sound, that's o.k. The only sequence involved is when you bleed the brakes. Start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder first, then the next farthest, etc.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
Toe in and other front end alignment issues will make a steering pull.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0