The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Wally / Montana), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#721046 02/14/2011 9:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 53
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 53
I just purchased a 1947 one ton stake bed with the hydraulic dump. The rear brakes are bad and leaking. I backed off the two adjusting bolts and couldn't get the drum to come off. I pulled the eight hub bolts and pulled the axle. Still no luck. What could be holding this on?? The axle housing is threaded and there appears to be a sleave inside with a notch in the bottom but other than that I can't see anything holding this on.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
There should be two slotted screws on the drum face, once removed the drum should come off. If not, then the rear bearing assembly has to be disassembled. It does require a special axle nut socket to do this, but they are redily available from the parts stores or tool dealers. Here is the shop manual page showing how the hub comes apart.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 53
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 53
There are no slotted bolts on the brake drum and the page from the shop manual doesn't look a thing like what I have. There is no slotted nut like you would find at the end of a spindle just something that looks like a long sleeve with a single slot.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You may need to clean any gunked up oil out of the hub to see the nut. It will be a round nut with 6 slots around the outside diameter. The axle nut socket has 6 pins that engage those slots. There will be two of them per side, with a locking plate in between that has a tab that fits in the slot of the spindle. Once those are removed, the drum and hub assembly will come off.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
https://picasaweb.google.com/wmhatfield/BrakesBearings#5529976960122832162

Here's a shot of the nut you seek... I forwent the axle nut in favor of a punch and lightly tapped all around - The nuts should come off pretty easy with all that axle grease!

I wish I had taken my rear bearing off when I did this... I spent hours banging at the drum with a sledge until I got it off. My cylinders were completely rusted and seized open.

Oh well - you live, you learn!


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0