Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Joe H, moparguy),
118
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 93 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 93 | I replaced my leaky Carter off my 53, 3600,216, with a Rodchester from CD, and I'm calling them tommarow about this Question. #1. The gasket in the center of the housing is DAMP, and #2 It runs with the choke in half open. I replaced 2 in line fuel filters ,NO teflon tape,(Liq. pipe dope), but it still will not run without tender foot work...Any ideas??? I tryed the adjustment screw a little at a time, no good, plus does anyone know where I can get the Rodchester rebuilt? This gas leak got me scraching my head, Thanks...Paul | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | I guess my question would be, unless the vehicle is numbers-matching, why you would consider removing a Carter and replacing it with a Rochester B???
If the vehicle is a numbers-matching show vehicle, please ignore my question.
I would have suggested obtaining a kit for the Carter and rebuilding it.
Jon.
Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | I agree junk that B and keep the carter any day of the week.
Pete | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 462 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 462 | The gasket being damp is a good sign of a warped carb | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 93 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 93 | The Rodchester was the only one CD sold AND would'nt repair my Carter.Any one out there knows a good rebilder??? At a decent price would be good also.....Thanks ..Paul ps shiped the Rod. back to CD, bet they say it was something rlsr. I checked the tank and it looked GREAT, nice and clean, filters were just put on when I put the Rodchester on.... | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The gasket being damp is a good sign of a warped carb That's not unusual for the Rochester B. Seems about 50% of them I've ever seen, including the one that was on mine, was either warped, cracked, or both. Personal opinion, get e rebuild kit and overhaul the Carter. Do it yourself so you know it was done right. I went through a similar problem with reman Carters from Tomco. Not only did they not perform correctly, but they weren't even a matched pair! Seems some dufus working for them stuffed a Ford spec carb in a Chevy spec box. I ended up dumping both Carters and swapped to a pair of salvage yard IH spec Holleys that I overhauled and matched up myself. Was far cheaper than remans, and they run far better.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | Theres got to be a carb rebuilder near you. If you go to a FLAPS they might know some one or ask a clasic car club in you're area.Also Carbking from this site rebuilds them.Mabe someone here from SC will help.Jim Carter sells rebuilt carters look on there site.
Pete | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The carb rebuilder just posted on your thread. He is Carbking. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | The carb rebuilder just posted on your thread. He is Carbking. Thanks for the compliment; however carbking's backlog now extends beyond his retirement age! While still providing parts and carbs of our own; we are no longer accepting customer work. Sorry. And to the OP, I would suggest getting a kit and do the rebuild on the Carter yourself. It is not that difficult, and doing the work yourself is part of the joy of the hobby. Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | try here Larry Isgro Carbureator Rebuilders 1604 Argyle Road, Wantagh, NY 11793 516-897-0401 Shop i have had four carbs done by larry and so has a lot of other truck owners that i know. give him a call and talk with him. he's good, fast and resonably priced. the only thing i needed to do was bolt it on, hook up the linkage and tweak the idle screw and drive away | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 6 | Don't mean to step on Red 53 pickup thread.
I just replaced my 230 with a carter carb. Runs good now. Went thru hell with the Rochester rebuild with no good results. If I recall, I remember reading where CarbKing said Rochester acc'l. pump diaphram is made of leather while the Carter's diaphram is neoprem(?) or rubber. And with today's ethanol gasoline if carb bowl dries from not running periodically the Carter diaphram with dry out and crack. If that's true, I would like to stay with factory designed Rochester to avoid problems in the future. Can anyone elaborate?
TIA | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | The carter runs so much better than the "B" it's worth replacing the diaphram once every year or two would only take maybe an hour or so to do and you can get the rebuilding kit and have it setting on you're shelf. I had a "B" on my 216 when I first rebuilt the engine and was not happy with it ,after talking it over a few times with people here I got a carter W1 and rebuilt it and after that the engine ran great.I just rebuilt a carter YF to put on my 235 I just put in my truck ,I have to build the brackit for the cables,and that will go on in the next week or so.
Pete | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | Don't mean to step on Red 53 pickup thread.
I just replaced my 230 with a carter carb. Runs good now. Went thru hell with the Rochester rebuild with no good results. If I recall, I remember reading where CarbKing said Rochester acc'l. pump diaphram is made of leather while the Carter's diaphram is neoprem(?) or rubber. And with today's ethanol gasoline if carb bowl dries from not running periodically the Carter diaphram with dry out and crack. If that's true, I would like to stay with factory designed Rochester to avoid problems in the future. Can anyone elaborate?
TIA The Rochester ORIGINALLY came with a leather pump; and they are STILL available in the more expensive kits. Parts store kits will have neopreme pumps, with the same issue as the Carter YF. However, the Rochester is prone to much more expensive maintenance as the airhorn and body warp due to only four screws holding the two castings together (Carter used 7 on the YF). Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 6 | Good point, Pete. Thank you and Jon for you input. And not to step on Red's thread I will start another thread concerning questions about the Rochester carb.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | yes I bought 2 rochester B's from some unscrupulous person that had no way to hold down the air filter, (they didn't mention that part when I bought them) then when I asked if they had the parts I was missing they offered to sell me two more carburetors. Then I find out that these carburetors are a lot like the vega and the citation, mostly useless. It has been an expensive learning experience. I know this doesn't help your situation, but at least you know you aren't alone...I've decided to go with twin webers from langdons, as I can't seem to find anyone with 2 WF's or 2 W1's at the same time that don't want $250 apiece. | | |
| |