The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#718490 02/05/2011 7:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
Where to start. I've been driving my stock 55.1 for about 15 years, and it's time to admit that the 235 needs addressing. Starts, runs, and leaks and burns oil every possible place. Should probably get a total rebuild.

There are two possibilities: one is a stock 55.2 235 rebuilt about 10k back. Guy won't price it yet, so I'm thinking he thinks it's gold. Other one is at a buddy's shop, in a bigger truck (don't ask me, I didn't look closely) and is supposed to be fresh. It's his son's truck. He wants $500 for the truck. Fresh truck 4-speed in it.

Now the 292 is real tempting. It'd have to go in pretty much stock, since I'm retired and mostly broke. Headers/duals would be a nice start. Maybe more as time and budget allow. Big questions for me are: how much will I have to change to make it fit/work? I expect the 12v thing will have to happen. Thinking a 3.38 r/p will be a good idea. Yes?

Be gentle, keep it basic--new guy here. I haven't done much wrenching, but I did grow up helping my dad hotrod his '51 Fleetline, so sixes are in my blood. The truck is no showpiece, and gets driven daily. So what's involved in getting the 292 to go in?

Care to steer an old rank beginner down the inline path?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
It was moved? That's okay with me, but how about telling newbies WHERE so the search gets shortened?

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You should have gotten a PM about the move.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
Thanks. Been lurking here a long time, but new to navigating.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Forget about the 3.38 gears. Nice idea, but much easier to change the transmission to one with overdrive.

The 292 is a good engine, but it will take some fabrication to make fit. I believe all you would need is a universal sbc front engine/crossmember mount. Never done the swap, so I'm not sure. The 292 should fit pretty well, and there are plenty of bellhousings available that will bolt to the 292 and to your existing crossmember. The stock driveline can be used as is, however I would reccomend upgrading the brakes and using an OD transmission.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
The option of the other truck for $500 if that is a 261 and if it is fresh it would just drop in with no mods. That engine is a horse for it,s size.


You Learn more Listening than Talking

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0