Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,083 Posts1,056,326 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 4 | Hi All, I have a 1953 GMC truck and let me start by saying there is not much else in this world that makes me smile like when I driving my truck around the neighborhood. Well my truck was made in Oakland and has suffered 50 plus years of salt air and fog. most rust on this truck is not repairable (IMHO). should I just stop the rust and just primer or flat paint over or should I replace the bed or should I just drive it? With all the rust its hard for others to enjoy-I'll post pics soon | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 70 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 70 | If the rust is that bad, is it safe to drive? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 | I have been working on a 1959 1/2 Apache from Nebraska that shows the toll of driving in snow with salted roads. Lots of rust. I am using POR-15 and it is work great. I am doing the the frame now and will replace some body parts or repair as needed. At $44 a quart it is expensive but the pre time is minimal and looks great.
Just an option.... | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | My '53 GMC 1/2 ton is also very rusty, but I like it that way. I thought I might repaint it, but the more people say "you just gonna drive it like that?" or "what color you gonna paint it?", the more I want to drive it like it is. Besides, I'm driveing my truck today, why would I want to take it off the road for a couple years, put that kind of money into the body work and paint, only to be afraid to drive it? Check my truck out in my signature, but please try to look past the wheels, they are temporary. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I just returned from a 2222 mile trip in my rusty Suburban. I say drive it. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 4 | Yeah its pretty rusty but safe to drive. I took the bed off to clean up the frame a bit and maybe send the bed to a shop for blasting-but if that gets done there will be so many holes. I'll just drive it then! thanks. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 54 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 54 | I dont know twotone, there is good patina and bad patina and I think you are sporting bad patina! I'd do the body work and paint it.
glos55
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 39 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 39 | I drove mine for ten years getting just mechanical stuff done on it. About a year ago I guess I got a wild hair and started thinking about getting the old girl to look good. Actually it more likley a wild spring in the seat cushion
Last edited by bobket; 01/25/2011 8:14 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | GeneBrownLow has the right idea. i drove 54 for 20 years as is. then i put in the shop and spent an ungodly amount of money on it. it looks and drives great and i still drive it but i am more elective. two trips to Kansas City total miles 2600 and 8000 since overhaul. i would love to drive it n the snow but i don't the big fight i will have with insurance company. drive it.
Last edited by WE b OLD; 01/25/2011 11:10 PM.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 | I agree that a rusty ride has a certain character. But likewise, safety first is a good motto to keep in mind. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | A rusty floor should be repaired as well as a rusty exhaust system. If it's got good brakes and runs well, leave it as it is until you find something else or have the time and money to fix it.
We live close, I sent you a pm. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | I dont know twotone, there is good patina and bad patina and I think you are sporting bad patina! Believe it or not, 65shortstep2, this truck has already been redone once. A little body work, a coat of primer, new paint inside and out, a nice new oak bed, reupholstered seat and fresh engine. Since then it has had three more coats of primer, another engine, and the oak bed and seat have rotted out. I've replaced the seat and plan to replace the engine(heck, the whole drive train) and the bed. As long as it's mechanically sound and I can drive it, I'm happy. I'd do the body work and paint it. I accept your offer  I unfortunately don't have a shop or the time and money to do what I would like. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 54 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 54 | twotone, Wow you've had that truck a long time? Yeah if you're happy then thats cool!!! I went back and studied the pictures and it does have character! What wheels have you decided on?
glos55
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | I haven’t had the truck that long, but I’ve done some research on it . I’ll admit the character she has is sort of an ugly character, but it took almost sixty years to get that way.
I would like to find a steel wheel that looks something like the stock wheel, that I could maybe run a stock hubcap on. It would be nice to find something the same size as the (ugly) chrome wheels I'm running with a slightly smaller tire. My brother sold me these wheels with brand new tires for $cheap.00 and they fit(barely).
Then, yes, I would like to do the body work and give her a nice paint job. Probably the stock red color. | | |
| |