The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Charles in CA, Gdads51, J Lucas, 78buckshot, walter74), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,671
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#714138 01/22/2011 7:48 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
I have a 316 ci pontiac engine in my 56 GMC. The gas mileage is 12mpg. Any one adapt a fuel injection of some type which would increse mpg and performange in general. thanks

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
I have worked with both these companies and would recommend them both.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ look at the TPI installs on there page ,they also have many other fuel injection types to use.



Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
there is Borla Induction, (used to be TWM) I've never used them, but the reason I keep them in mind is they have individual units.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Fixing the carburetor costs 10% as much.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
Often truck engines are set up with small passages in the intake and head (higher air velocity adds low end torque). Additionally, the rear end gearing is not MPG-friendly.

It is quite possible you could spend a sizeable amount on a fuel injection system and still have a truck which obtains 12 MPG.

Passenger engine heads, intake, and 4-barrel carb MIGHT help a little on fuel economy, and WOULD help performance. An overdrive transmission should help both.

In any event, should you do the math, probably nothing you do will sufficiently increase the fuel economy enough to pay for the modifications.

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 01/23/2011 12:42 AM.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Running a 59 Pontiac 389 which has been bored and stroked to 447 in my 59 gmc 1/2 ton longbed. Engine was a mild build. I have 3.70:1 gears and a 27% OD transmission. Gas mileage is still about 14 mpg at freeway speeds. I get about 10-12 MPG when I hotrod around and open up the other 2 deuces.

When I first put the OD transmission in, it was behind the 336 gmc engine. Mileage was not improved. I got 10-12 MPG with the factory 4 speed, and the same with the OD. The mileage did improve with the freshly rebuilt 447. I suspect my mileage woes with the 336 were due to a worn out Stromberg ww carb.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Boy would I like to see a picture of that 389 in your truck, bigbadswingdaddy! Can you post something?

I've got a Pontiac 455 overbored to 465 in my '68 Firebird and get a very similar 13 mpg on the highway cruising on 3.08 rear end gears. Yes, a bit tall, but the motor has the torque and it doesn't feel tall at all.

Anyway, back to the original question, did you look into Accel and Holley for their TBI fuel injection systems? There is an advantage. Fuel mixture is always correct, at any altitude. I might make the change myself on my Firebird. Their EFI systems are a little over a grand, if I remember right. Check Summit Racing.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0