The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steelonsteel, Shade Baby, cmayna, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 105 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
...And it is available for sale. It is attached to what appears to be an SM-420 transmission. I am not that familiar with it, but it sure looks like a very old transfer case that might have been a dealer-installed option.

At first I thought I wanted it, but decided not to go that direction. Never the less, the owner did say he'd sell it. I don't know what he wants for it, but I'll bet someone here might be highly interested.

If so, let me know. I can take pictures and send to you. This is located in Clovis, New Mexico, and this is truck country. He also has some Chevy and GMC trucks, as well as Ford and Studebaker. They are all restorable, but they need everything gone through.

Anyway let me know if anyone wants more info on this...


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
If it's a "married" unit with a motor mount sandwiched between the transmission and the transfer case, I doubt it it's old enough to be a NAPCO transfer case. I believe all of them were mounted separately, with a short driveshaft as a connector. The later models had a cast iron rear motor mount bracket that served as the splice between the units.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
I'm interested in the napco. Do you have contact info?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I can certainly get contact info. Let me provide a link to a photo of the tranny/xfr case I took today. As you can see, it appears to be an SM-420 on the front of it.

Let me know if anyone's interested and I will provide the guy's contact info. (Got to go back over there to ask him for it. I talked to him today again but didn't think to write down his number).

Also, let me know if anyone wants a stovebolt truck to restore. He's got a few of those too.

Here's the link for the photo. Izzat a Napco?
Front view:

[IMG]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv9/axeimen/Napcofrontview.jpg[/IMG]

Rear view:

[IMG]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv9/axeimen/Napcorearview.jpg[/IMG]


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Definetly not a Napco. Just judging, with the drivers side output and the shape of the shifter, it's an early '80s Ford transmision and 'case, porbabply from a 1/2 ton.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Okay, well thanks for the confirmation.
Too bad. I thought someone here would be able to use it.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Okay, well thanks for the confirmation.
Too bad. I thought someone here would be able to use it.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
That is not a NAPCO unit to be sure. They are "divorced" transfer cases.

This is a NAPCO t-case (note that the PTO is not normally there):
From the back
Out of the truck front of t-case
Cleaned up and in truck

You can find NAPCO running gear on Ebay quite often or you can go to one of the NAPCO4x4.org forum for parts.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0