| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,262 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 368 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 368 | Members: I talked to a guy at Old Car Parts...He gave me some info. Grease Cap Plug...Group # 2.364 5/16 diam. x 1/8 thick fibre # 1869303 So,Boys & Girls...Now what do I do with this info? Anyone know who carries old parts or have cross reference #'s ? This is for the part that goes before spring in the shaft...see pic. http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i381/snipewarrior/Internal%20Parts/P1010013.jpgThanks | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Jimmi, you should see the one I sent you soon, it went out last Tuesday.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I went back and reviewed the previous four page thread and I believe as Dave has said several times, that the fiber (Bakelite) plug was there to apply pressure to the shaft. I see no other reason for it and judging from the parts books the felt was not used on the later distributors. All of the later distributors that I’ve taken apart have had the phenolic plug in them. I have reassembled them with a felt plug in front of the disk based on what I thought was logical. I think the felt was used in the earlier distributors but later replaced by the phenolic plugs. I’ve got some Grade XX Garolite, a paper based phenolic (Bakelite) material good to +284°F. I'll send you a 5/16”x 1/8” plug also, between the felt, Bakelite and plastic you can decide what you think is the most logical application. As I think I mentioned earlier, plain old chassis grease is what's called out in the service manuals, not axle grease or lithium grease. Axle grease is to fibrous usually and white grease (Lubriplate) stiffens up and turns yellow in a couple of years. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/18/2011 1:10 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 368 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 368 | Thanks alot Denny,Sorry for beating this into the ground..I just don't want to ruin anything.. Thanks again | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Bakelite plug will be in the mail in the morning. DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |
| |