The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Woodcmiami, Gray_Ghost), 105 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,305
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Has anyone seen the adjusting tools used in adjusting the bands after rebuilding the Hydramatic. I have read some posts but the descriptions on doing it are a little vague. Or does someone know a good website for this?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

1954 Hydra-Matic booklets are listed on this page (in the 1954 section).

Here is the 54 GMC H-M manual. The GMC and Chevrolet Hydra-Matics were similar, except for the shift linkage/indicator.

Someone else might know how different the 55-1st H-M is from the 54 H-M (besides the open driveshaft in 1955).

There are some manuals listed on eBay. Search on: (1955, 55) (GMC, chev*) hydr* man*

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Thanks, Extreme Gabster. More info is always great. Was wondering if you knew which car had the same tranny as the 55.1. I have a Motor's manual that gives some great explanations and photos but only refers to Cads, Hudsons, Kaisers, Lincolns, Nashs, Pontaics, and Willys. This Motor's has some measurements for the throttle lever position, but the chevy pickup is not one of them. And the measurements are all different. The only thing that the shop manual says is to use a special tool guage (no specs)

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
several years ago the 4 or 5 nessessary adjusting tools were hot sellers on ebay going for mad money. Frankly I have not seen any in years. Over on oldgmctrucks.com Bill Hanlon will rent them to you. but expect to pay big security while you barrow them. And you'll get it back.

Linkage between a chevy 6 and a gmc six is different
bell housing and torus are different between chevy and gmc too.

The factory manuals turn up more often. There are factory service manuals and manuals sold by Napa and some vocational training manuals used by high school auto shops back in the day. those are tough to find but the do show up. All told if you start collecting the manuals there like 11-12 of them. each one very good in its own right.

Dont get too frustrated and replace the old hydro. Properly tuned they are agood tranny and quit a novelty. Seems to me they are easier to rebuild than a newr trany. They have a wide range of adjustments depending on driving style but if you dont know what your doing it will go bad in short order

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A Motors Truck Repair Manual will come in handy. You say you have a Motors car manual so you already know how valuable they are. I just glanced at my truck manual and there's several pages on the Hydra-matic with adjustments, diagrams and troubleshooting tips.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
The Motors manual is great but shop manual and motors look like they were written and printed by same people. Some differences which is helpful. Bit all the books refer to the same specialty tools. When I start putting it back together (about 20 boxes to hold all the components from the tranny!), I will ask for imput. I may even take photos while assembling it for others future reference or for others critique.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
I dont know dudes. I got a motors manual and I got about 12 other manuals specificly on rebuilding, adjusting and trouble shooting hydro's. and each one is extreamly important in thier own way. I would hold out for the correct factory service manual and any of the others as the come up on Ebay.

The time you take and the money you spend on manuals will save you enourmously down the road. I got 3 57 gmc/hydros and a 60 GMC hydro.

especially if you got your tranny in boxs. Your gonna need alot mor than a fricken motors manual. sorry but it needs sayin. Stick with that hydro though!

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
Tim listed excellent links to most all of the information needed and even more can be found in liked areas of the same site. Keith has compiled an unbelievable resource. The tools are out there also.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

rodfisher1,

What size 1955 New Design (Z-series, early 1955) truck do you have? I have a small collection of mid-50s GMC/Chevrolet Hydra-Matic manuals for GMC trucks (collected by Greg_H and me). I do not have any Hydra-Matic specialty-tools.

By the way, if you are interested, Hydra-Matic is the correct spelling (as you spelled it, but with a hyphen, not Hydro).


Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
six dozen of one half of another hydro tomado potato patado apple oranges:) Hydro sounds better alone than hydra does. Hydra is all greek to me;)

anyway, the manuals.... the manuals...

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
My 55 is the 1st series 3100. It sits behind a rebuilt 235, well not yet. The chevy truck shop manual is sufficient for disassembly/assembly. I would just like to get the bands adjusted close enough as I reassemble it so it will function as close as possible to normal. The tools seem the best way to do so. I'll contact the guy at oldgmctrucks and rent them. It is extra help to have several resources. I learned alot taking the hydra-matic apart. Found a broken spring in one of the servos. I look forward to putting it back together in my new shop (500 sq. Ft. Steel building)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
My truck is a 55.1 deluxe cab with the 235 engine. Doing a ground up rebuild with improvements like 12V conv, disc brakes. Learned so much taking the hydra-matic completely apart. The truck shop manual is great. Has a huge chapter on disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the Hydra-matic. Just wish I had the special tools to get the bands close enough so I could start it and see where I'm at. I'm going to contact the guy at oldgmctrucks for the tools. Just need them for a moment. Hoping I can get the specs on the tools to manufacture my own. Will keep everyone informed. Is there an easy way to do photos to share?

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
My truck is a 55.1 deluxe cab with the 235 engine. Doing a ground up rebuild with improvements like 12V conv, disc brakes. Learned so much taking the hydra-matic completely apart. The truck shop manual is great. Has a huge chapter on disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the Hydra-matic. Just wish I had the special tools to get the bands close enough so I could start it and see where I'm at. I'm going to contact the guy at oldgmctrucks for the tools. Just need them for a moment. Hoping I can get the specs on the tools to manufacture my own. Will keep everyone informed. Is there an easy way to do photos to share?

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
If Bill is unable to help you out, let me know. I will look around and see if I can't locate the internal band guage. I loaned the tools out before but I get real nervous now that they don't show up for sale as often.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 36
may be its not bill...maybe its some one else but for a while there they were available. Please return them when yer done.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Greg h, the gauges for the rear band and throttle lever are simply measuring. If you have them, I would appreciate some real size outlines or accurate measurements of the distances. I can easily manufacture those. I could possibly manufacture the front band gauge but would probably need it in my possession to do it. Sounds like someone needs to manufacture these tools. Seems like there is a need to have more floating around. Thanks for the imput. Greatly appreciated

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I will take a look and see what I can find for you. They are in a storage building right now and it's cold and dark!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0