| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,490 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 | I hope this is just an adjust issue. I can't seem to get the hood to stay shut. I close it and it seems latched then when i drive it the hood pops up being held by the secondary latch. Is there an adjustment that i can make to secure the primary latch? Or do in need to replace the entire mechinism?
Thanks for your help and Happy New Year... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 20 | try and lengthen the locking pin a couple turns out . it sounds like it not quite locked in , or something is worn out . | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 | Where exactly is the locking pin? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | that's on an AD style latch ... for your TF, the problem may be a broken spring, get a look inside the mechanism - and make sure the bracket on the hood is coming down far enough
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 | I know its been a while but just now got back to this issue. I pulled the latch mechnism and oiled it. Everything is working very smooth. I can't see any issue with the latch itself. When i close the hood it does close flush in the front and seems aligned in the back by the firewall. I have moved the adjustment from all the way to the right to all the way to the left and can only get the second or safety latch to catch. I see no adjustment on the hood area unless you can adjust the hood springs.
Looking for an old body man on this one. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | if the hood closes to the correct position, there is no adjustment .... the highest, "hooked" arm should catch in 2 positions, the other smoother arm is part of what makes things move, it doesn't hook anything - the plate piece on your hood has 2 levels on it that hold the hook, one of them may be damaged or bent .... also make sure there are no washers holding the latch mechanism lower than it should be, like under the sheet metal header it comes up thru
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 26 | I really appreciate your response. When you brought up the washers under the latch I went back out and looked over everything again. There were no washers but I found the cowl where the latched was bolted had a problem. On the left side where the cowl should have fit over the radiator cowl the metal was bent under and was lifting the left side of the latch cowl. That meant the latch was misaliged at the top of the latch where it should be catching the second latch area. I bent the metal out of the way and reinstalled the cowl and latch. I had to adjust the latch, very minor, but it now closes and latches correctly.
Thanks again for your help. It set me on the right path.
Last edited by GeneBrownlow; 05/09/2011 3:13 AM.
| | |
| |
| |