The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, GRNHydra, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,354
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#707693 12/31/2010 6:24 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 105
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 105
...So I was stripping down my engine for a trip to the machine shop. I want to have the shop put in a new oil pump with the rebuild. I got down to taking off the oil pump and found two circular headed bolts that go through the block and into the oil pump housing. the threads on the housing side are peened off.
It seems to me the only way to remove is to drill them out, as the heads are perfectly round, and don't take a socket.

Can anyone confirm or deny?


1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside/235/3 sp
Pictures at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=317454&id=855355703&l=0a0f773195
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I remember being fooled by that too. Th oil pump is retained by a single bolt with a tapered end and lock nut. Look for it near the crankshaft where the pump slides into the block and if you back it off the pump will slip out. No drilling or grinding required.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
Confirm that they don't take a socket.

Deny that you drill them out.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=646392


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/engine1.htm You need to look at this, it tells you how to do it correctly. I just got this info in an earlier post today. I'm taking mine apart real soon. Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I was told after I had removed those two round headed bolts on a 216 that a mistake was made on my part because those two bolts are critical to the correct positioning of the oil pump in the block and that is why they are rounded because they are not to be removed. Luckily for me,when I replaced those 2 bolts and the oil pump, all seemed to work ok. When rebuilding my 235, I left them alone.


Drew
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 105
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 105
Ahhhh yes, I see it now. Glad I asked!


1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside/235/3 sp
Pictures at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=317454&id=855355703&l=0a0f773195

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0