The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steelonsteel, Gray_Ghost, Nick in Manitou, frogfarmer, Bill Hanlon, mick53), 92 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
I started a post here: https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...ords=svwilbur&Search=true#Post706567

But am wondering if with the new ignition switch I bought that has the IGN1 and IGN2 on it if I do not need to run a green wire from the starter motor to the coil any more like I did for the old single IGN switch?


The instructions that came with the wireing harness from classic parts seems to indicate that. But It does not mention anything about V8. I think the harness was made more for the 6 cylinder engines.

Also it does not provide a wire to go from the resister to the coil like I use to have. I guess they would want you to reroute the one that is going to the starter area for the 6 cylinder coil location but it does not really reach the V8 location of the coil without unwraping the wire.

SO can I just tape that up and run a wire from the resister to the oil?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy svwilbur, please see my reply in the engine and driveline forum.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
the diagram in your shop manual should have 2 ign sw views - 6 cyl switch ["view C" on the far left of the diagram, no "start" position] - V8 switch ["view A" top right of the diagram, with the start position] .... wire colors to the same places, but note there are 2 green wires from ign 2 on the V8 sw, one goes to the coil, one to the resistor with the other end of the resistor being the brown from the switch, there is no wire direct to the coil from the resistor - the way it works is the coil gets power direct from the battery when in "start", but via the resistor when in "run" .... there are a variety of switch terminal configurations around, some OEM, some repro, you need to work out how what you have fits the manual wiring diagram, you may have to add the 2nd green wire, although I'd expect to find it there cuz I don't think anyone repros the 6cyl switch

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
A couple more questions here for the speedometer guage cluster wiring :

1) for the Ammeter it says RED wire #3 to Ammeter (C Terminal) to Headlamp Switch BAT terminal to horn relay to voltage regulator. And Wire #32 RED to the Ammeter (C Terminal)to IGN switch BAT terminal. and Wire #34 BLACK to the Ammeter (D terminal) to Starter switch(I think it means soleniod).

So 3 wires to the ammeter. But the back of my ammeter has 2 main connectors each with 2 tabs but none are labeled C or D. I guess maybe C is for Charge and D is for Discharge?
So is C on the Right when viewed from front (left from the back)?

I can tell by the section 12 Sheet 17 of the Factory Assembly Manual that RED #3 Positive should be on LEFT from the back and BLACK Negative #34 should be on the Right when looked from the back. but it does not show a 3rd cable going up there (Wire #32 RED between ammeter and IGN switch BAT terminal). Maybe this wire harness split up a 3 way wire that use to run from IGN switch to ammeter to HeadLight Switch and also to voltage regulator? From the Schematic it looks like maybe those lines are connected with a bigger dot indicating a junction. SO I guess I just put #32 on the C side with the other RED wire correct?


2) For the Gas tank sender wire it says to attach to the F terminal. Is that the Full side (Left terminal when viewed from back)?

3) TEMP guage wire #28 (H terminal) to temp sender andwire #31 Temp Guage (C terminal) to IGN switch (ACCY terminal) I am guessing that is H for HOT and C for COLD? so C is on RIGHT when viewed from the BACK?


So maybe I get it now. I could not figure out what the C and H and C and D Terminals were. Are my assumptions correct?

I do not want to Fry this wiring.

I would have looked more at the old wires when I pulled them off but had to pull it all out then put in the new harness so it is hard to tell now and was hard to get pictures then on all the old wiring before taking it all off.

Thanks for your help.


Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by squeeze
the diagram in your shop manual should have 2 ign sw views - 6 cyl switch ["view C" on the far left of the diagram, no "start" position] - V8 switch ["view A" top right of the diagram, with the start position] .... wire colors to the same places, but note there are 2 green wires from ign 2 on the V8 sw, one goes to the coil, one to the resistor with the other end of the resistor being the brown from the switch, there is no wire direct to the coil from the resistor - the way it works is the coil gets power direct from the battery when in "start", but via the resistor when in "run" .... there are a variety of switch terminal configurations around, some OEM, some repro, you need to work out how what you have fits the manual wiring diagram, you may have to add the 2nd green wire, although I'd expect to find it there cuz I don't think anyone repros the 6cyl switch

Bill



My Factory manual does not show that ignition switch combination for the V8 with 2 green wires. What Seection and Page is it on? I need to see the updated schmatic with it on there. My manual has section 12 Sheet 42 43 and 44. 43 is V8 in a 5000 series but does not have 2 green wires, just 1.


Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by squeeze
the diagram in your shop manual should have 2 ign sw views - 6 cyl switch ["view C" on the far left of the diagram, no "start" position] - V8 switch ["view A" top right of the diagram, with the start position] .... wire colors to the same places, but note there are 2 green wires from ign 2 on the V8 sw, one goes to the coil, one to the resistor with the other end of the resistor being the brown from the switch, there is no wire direct to the coil from the resistor - the way it works is the coil gets power direct from the battery when in "start", but via the resistor when in "run" .... there are a variety of switch terminal configurations around, some OEM, some repro, you need to work out how what you have fits the manual wiring diagram, you may have to add the 2nd green wire, although I'd expect to find it there cuz I don't think anyone repros the 6cyl switch

Bill

That 6 cyl switch view of yours shows a START on it. It appears to have the same functions as the V8 one. All you would have to do is add a 2nd green wire correct? My switch is more like the 6 cylinder switch but the wireing harness has 2 green wires coming off the IGN2 connector.

My new switch that I got from classic prts as and Original switch is more like that 6 cyl switch. It has a Lock, OFF, ON, and START positions. So 4 positions.

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
Squeeze It seems your pictures are now giving permision violations.

Last edited by svwilbur; 12/31/2010 6:54 AM.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
must be from your end, work fine for me from 2 different browsers, but if you have the 57 shop manual, they're in it

the 6cyl sw shown has 2 key positions on/off, "start" on the terminals means "on" [some aftermarket ones also had a lock position], the "start" on a V8 sw is the spring loaded momentary-on key position for cranking, but that says nothing about the terminals on the back, which should be labeled on the switch

if you have the 2 green wires you have no problem, just use the factory wiring diagram to hook it up

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 194
I get this at your site. But it use to work earlier in the day.
403 Forbidden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nginx/0.8.35

But anyways My factory Manual lists that version of a 6 cylinder switch but not the V8 version. It has a totally different one for the V8.

But the switch I have purchased from CLassic Parts as an original switch has the 4 positions and does have a spring loaded START. so I should be OK. And I think with my Pertronix IgniterIII I just need a wire from the Brown and Green (spliced together in place of the Resister to get my power. It just needs Full Power and it meters it for Starting and Running automatically.

Well I will see what happens in a few days. hoping not to smoke it all.

Last edited by svwilbur; 12/31/2010 8:38 AM.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0