The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I have a 55 1 series 3100 with a three speed with overdrive and the only numbers I can find on the trans is on the left side and are 3846122 and under that number is 1237. Is this original trans or has been changed out at one time. I can't find any letters with numbers. Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Can you post a few photos?

It looks like there were no optional overdrive transmission available for trucks in 1955-1st series. However, a factory overdrive was available on Sedan Delivery and cars in 1955 (all year).

Do you know what year rear end you have? An overdrive with the original 1/2 ton 3.90 rear end would be a nice highway cruiser.


Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I checked my rear end ratio today and its a 3.90 with NK1018 numbers on it. The engine block number is 3835911, Head 3835913 and serial on block is 0059235F55X. The trans is very oily and has alot of grease caked up on it but I got the numbers GM 14 3846122 1237 off of it. My eyes are not as good as they once was up close. frown The overdrive wiring is in bad shape and is not fully connected so I don't know how long it hasn't worked. I have just started on this project but I already like what I see. So far I have determend its a 55 1 series 3100 five window delux cab with 235 engine, 3 speed w/overdrive and a 3.90 rear. Tires are 6.50-16. From all I here it should make for a nice setup. Thanks for any help.
55overdrive

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I forgot to mention it shows 32295 on the odometer. I don't know if its only 32295 or 132295 but it runs good. I know that 3500 miles a year was alot back then, not like now days. It's still on 6 volts and all looks original. I don't have any brakes yet so thats my first job so I can check it out more. I just drive it out in the pasture for right now.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Sounds like a nice find. I agree the 235/OD/3.90 combo will make a nice runner.

There's lots of original OD documents copied here. The wiring diagram is for something else but it helped me wire the one I put in my '54.

Read about how it all works and you should have no trouble re-wiring it.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Nice photos. Nice truck.

Maybe someone can ID the overdrive unit?

Here is an OD diagram from Deve's website (posted by Cletis). (the date is not shown)

Maybe the "1237" in "3846122 1237" is a date code?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
It looks like a garden variety 3 speed overdrive to me. 58-65 units had a rear mount pad so it appears to be the correct for the year. 55-1 trucks had an open driveshaft so they may have offered the OD as well. Even if it isn't stock it's good to have.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0