The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nick in Manitou, klhansen), 77 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,315
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#704357 12/18/2010 2:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I have a 55 Chevy 1 series 5 window 3100 with a 235 and three on tree w/overdrive. Can anyone tell me about the overdrives and how common they was. Thanks wave

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Lots of info on that OD here.

I just installed one in my '54 GMC and I love it.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Thanks Cletis, that should help alot. Do you know the first year Chevy offered overdrive option? I wouldn't have thought it to be a very common option in a truck back then.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
55 was the first year as a factory option. For some reason, overdrive never caught on with GM like it did with Ford. Possibly because GM was so late in offering it.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I found some very helpful info on another web site forum that I thought might be very nice to share. I had talked to a man at a swapmeet one time that said the samething but it didn't soak in until I read this.........................

Hay folks question,

I have obtained a R10 Borg Warner overdrive unit that i have intentions of having it professionally installed in the '32 chevy. I have questions though.

First, it seems that i have to obtain MORE then an overdrive for this to work proper. I need a kick down switch and relay. I need were about's to obtain these items.

Second, im missing the governor switch...assyembly? I have the governor it's self, but the rest is missing. Some kind of shell? for a cover, and the contact point for the governor to touch to send the Overdrive into OD. Were abouts to obtain this?

Third, I dont know if i have a 6 volt or 12 volt solinoid on the OD. *I think* it could be 6 volt as it's said this came out of a model A ford BUT if it turns out to be a 12 volt, were could i obtain a 6 volt solinoid?

Fourth, I'd like to test the solinoid on the bench but i dont know the correct procedure to do so.

Fifth, i need a big and VISIBLE wiring diagram.

Sixth, im open to additional information AKA "tricks of the trade" to these Overdrive's. I hear these are a rare unit.
Thanks....................SKY

The answer to your question SKY,

I've had several cars with Warner Overdrives, one I installed into the torque tube of a '50 Chevy I converted to Diesel and ran for a couple hundred thousand miles.

GOVERNOR:
Strictly speaking, this is not needed - especially if it is retrofitted into a car that didn't originally have one. All it is is a governor with a set of contacts inside. Personally, I'd just remove it and plug the case.

RELAY:
Same as the above. Not strictly necessary if you plan to shift manually.

KICKDOWN SWITCH:
Not needed for manual operation.

SOLENOID:
The solenoid has two wires coming out of it. One wire connects to the coil. This wire should go through a toggle switch then to the ignition.

The other one goes to a set of contacts that are closed when the solenoid is pulled-in and is not needed for manual operation. This wire is used in conjunction wih the relay and kickdown switch to kill the ignition for a very short period so the engine falters long enough to remove the load from the solenoid plunger so it can retract. If you aren't going to use the O.D. with the governor and kickdown switch, leave this wire disconnected and, when kicking down, simply turn off the switch and momentarily let off the gas.

The solenoid is a two-winding coil. One winding is low resistance and is used initially to make the solenoid pull in strongly. The other winding is switched in when the solenoid is pulled-in in order to keep the current drain (heat buildup) down and because, once the solenoid is bottomed-out, it needs little current to keep it there.

If the solenoid does not have a voltage stamped on the housing, you have to test it with a battery. If it pulls in energetically on 6V, it is a 6V solenoid. Otherwise, it is a 12V. I dunno if a 12V will work properly on 6V but you should be able to get a 6V solenoid, possibly a swap from someone who wants a 12V??.

Mechanically, the internal parts are identical between most years they were used. The cases were manufactured to fit different manufacturer's trannys.

WIRING FOR MANUAL USE:
Simply run the ignition side of the key switch to a toggle switch that will power a wire running to the solenoid. When you want to engage the O.D., simply push in the mechanical lockout dash control, turn on the switch and let off the gas 'til the O.D. engages. (Called an "Ummmmm-Clunk" shift).

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1: When not using the Overdrive, have the dash control pulled out to lock out the "freewheeling". Otherwise, you will have to rely heavily on brakes to slow down. DO NOT pull the dash control unless the switch is turned off -and- you are under power. Otherwise, nasty noises will be heard.

2: Warner Overdrives were originally equipped with a reverse lockout that kept you from trying to use reverse gear with the Overdrive turned on. The Overdrive WILL NOT work in reverse and, if you try to force it, you will destroy the gears. If the reverse lockout is not used, just make sure that the O.D. switch is off and it is locked-out before backing up.

A handy thing to know is that the Warner Overdrive has an undocumented feature. It is a "hill holder". If you stop on an incline (facing uphill) with the O.D. turned on and engaged, you can gently roll back a few inches until the sprag clutch engages and it will keep you from rolling back. After you are settled back, just turn off the electrical switch and, as soon as you begin to engage the clutch, it will shift back to low range.

There are a few tricks to disassembling and assembling Warner units. One is that you cannot remove the ring gear assembly unless you remove the "freeze plug" from the case and squeeze the snap ring to release the bearing.

Another trick is that, to assemble the sprag assembly inside the ring gear, simply assemble the sprag rollers in the cage and wrap a rubber band tightly around the sprags so, when you turn the hub, the sprage go into their smaller diameter position. Assemble the O.D. unit and just remember to be careful the first time you take off with the dash lever in the Overdrive position, to do it gently in case the sprag clutch is reluctant to engage until the rubber band is chewed up. (the rubber band won't harm anything if left inside the gear case.)

Now, I think you've exhausted my knowledge of the venerable Warner Overdrive.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Hope this bit of info comes in handy to post readers, Thanks 55overdrive

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I believe I'd trust the BW documents more than I'd trust this "expert".


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I agree completely but it does help me understand how it operates to an extent. I almost found out about the reverse the hard way on what he called the (Hill Holder). It holds alright and im just happy that I didn't force anything to happen by aplying engine power.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Ford used a 6 volt OD solenoid through 55 and there are a lot more of them around than GM. A Ford Solenoid will work in a GM.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
There are different lengths of the shaft in the solenoid. You have to get the right length in order for the overdrive to engage. It's easy to tell if the dolenoid is 6 or 12 volts, test it with a 6 volt source, if it engages it's 6 volts, but a 12 volt will not engage on a 6 volt shource.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0