| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Gdads51, FAST55, Gray_Ghost, cmayna, tclederman, sron48, Hambone),
108
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,258 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#70234 12/18/2006 1:56 AM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 | Thank you for providing this forum.
I have limited knowledge about engine identification.
I just acquired a '49 Chevy 3100 in ex cond. The engine and (automatic) trans are newer and the engine runs well, seems to be a very recent rebuild. The numbers on the pad just behind the distributor do not match anything I find on the internet regarding engine ID. Thinking it might be a Crate engine # I emailed them and no, it is not their number.
The number just behind the distributor is CE1A00343. There is a casting clock in the block and I understand that is a Saginaw marking.
I am guessing it is a 250, late 70's due to the EGR? valve on the valve cover.
any help?
thanks! | | |
#70235 12/18/2006 11:55 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Get the casting numbers & try www.inliners.org They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#70236 12/19/2006 5:38 AM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 | Thanks, I have looked and so far got close to the number with a 292 and a 250 but nothing yet. I really appreciate the lead! The numbers had the 388 but not the last 4 (4257).
I am going to go all over the underneath and sides of the engine and make sure I have my numbers right. | | |
#70238 12/21/2006 4:32 AM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 319 | I was re-reading your second post and am guessing that you found a block casting number of 3884257. I looked a little and wonder if what you think are 8's could be 9's. Block casting # 3994257 shows up as a 1967-72 250 with a head casting number of 3927763 or 3895052 according to this site. (Look almost half way down the list) http://www.butlers-a1.com/chevym.htm Just something to think about.
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
| | |
#70239 01/03/2007 12:33 PM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 | I'll check it out! Thanks! | | |
#70240 01/06/2007 1:36 PM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 12 | You were right! The 9's looked like 8's until I just about stood on my head in the engine compartment and studied the numbers up close.
Thanks a million. Mystery solved. | | |
| |
| |