The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TGP, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, greenie-reddy, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 178 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70234 12/18/2006 1:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
Thank you for providing this forum.

I have limited knowledge about engine identification.

I just acquired a '49 Chevy 3100 in ex cond. The engine and (automatic) trans are newer and the engine runs well, seems to be a very recent rebuild. The numbers on the pad just behind the distributor do not match anything I find on the internet regarding engine ID. Thinking it might be a Crate engine # I emailed them and no, it is not their number.

The number just behind the distributor is CE1A00343. There is a casting clock in the block and I understand that is a Saginaw marking.

I am guessing it is a 250, late 70's due to the EGR? valve on the valve cover.

any help?

thanks!

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Get the casting numbers & try www.inliners.org


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
Thanks, I have looked and so far got close to the number with a 292 and a 250 but nothing yet. I really appreciate the lead! The numbers had the 388 but not the last 4 (4257).

I am going to go all over the underneath and sides of the engine and make sure I have my numbers right.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
The website below believes that the CE prefix is indeed a replacement or warranty engine.

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-engine-suffix-code-help.asp

If you can find your block casting number this list of numbers should help to identify your engine displacement as Wrenchbender suggested above.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/6-cylindercast.html


"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
I was re-reading your second post and am guessing that you found a block casting number of 3884257.

I looked a little and wonder if what you think are 8's could be 9's.

Block casting # 3994257 shows up as a 1967-72 250 with a head casting number of 3927763 or 3895052 according to this site.
(Look almost half way down the list)

http://www.butlers-a1.com/chevym.htm

Just something to think about.


"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
I'll check it out! Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
You were right! The 9's looked like 8's until I just about stood on my head in the engine compartment and studied the numbers up close.

Thanks a million.
Mystery solved.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0