The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
I am redoing a 1946 suburban and am going with a IFS and a 350/350 setup. Are the frame widths up front the same between the 2 body styles? There is so much more available for the 47-54 than for the 41-46's and was just wondering how much of that is interchangeable.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Yes, the frame widths are the same "up front" from 37 to 54 1st Series.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
I was guessing that was the case but was not sure. Does anyone know of any issues using a IFS kit listed for a 1947 and using it on a 1946?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
If it's a 46 and a first series 47, there shouldn't be any problem. Second series 47 I would think would work. Ask the vendor.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
Anyone else got any info? I know when looking at kits they have them for 41-46 trucks and 48-54 trucks listed seperately.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I'm running a 54 front axle under my 37. No problems. The Chevrolet part number for the front axle is a cast number that they started using in 41 and goes through 54. The difference may have to do with steering issues because even though they use the same axle, the steering is set up differently with 41-46 using one kind of box and 47 and up another. I'm using a 41-46 box on my truck. A 47-54 box will not work on my truck, but, again the axle is the same.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0