The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, J Lucas), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
As some of us know, the arms of the shifter box on the steering column can hit the rear of the Offenhauser intake (especially on a 261). Most notably, the rear arm which is sometimes longer than the front arm. I ordered a rebuilt shift box from JC which came in with two long arms. I, and my machinist neighbor, are planning to shorten the arms to clear the manifold and then drill out new openings for the rod clamps. My neighbor is going to make and silver solder in new sleeve holders for the rubber/plastic bushings. He asked me if shortening the arms will change the ability of the tranny to shift properly. I replied that the box is basically stupid and as long as the shifter rods are long enough to be clamped down in the arm clamps and don't strike anything in their up and down motion, all should be well. Sound right or am I missing something or am I the stupid one?


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
49 geezer,

I made a little cartoon of the impending surgery, and it looks tenuous. This would depend on how much shorter you are making the shift arm of course.

You must achieve the amount of travel the detents in the side cover require..that's a given. When you shorten the arms on the column mounted shifter box, you will have to move the
shift lever in the cab more to satisfy the detents.

If you are making those levers quite a bit shorter, I think I would pencil it out first. You might not have enough travel inside the little "H" box on the steering column.

Hope I got my geometry right! smile

Stuart

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
There are shift boxes with two short arms.

You can also find just the short arm by itself - I have seen one NOS before years ago.

You can also buy one or two used shiftboxes with at least one shorter arm each and make your own dual-short-arm version. That's what I did years ago.
These arms are very easy to disassemble and replace.

Also try to find the little spacer-sure-shift aftermarket kit - you will never have a hanged up shift box again...


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
I was also thinking about the two shorter arms. Figured if I screwed up the work on mine, that would be an option. Am planning on using the short arm from my original box as a master and cut the two longer arms to match it. Overall, each arm would be approximately 1" shorter than the long arm. Will let you know how it works out.


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0