| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,348 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 219 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 219 | Ha Bigtony, I am also looking at a hitch for my 54 panel,I am pretty sure that the bumper mount one will cause damage to the bumper. I am thinking of taking a modern Hidden Hitch and doing some customizing to make it fit.I don't think it will be too much trouble.I have sceen universal chassie mounted hitches at Princess Auto that have with adjustment. Good luck with it. Len
layback
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | Tony, I'd think you'd be right on the edge safety/comfort with what you plan to haul on that bumper hitch. Nice piece though. I think that maybe reworking an old class III Reese hitch from something will be really strong. Maybe you should weigh up the load you plan to haul(go down to the local truck stop and get weighed on the scales) and that should tell the story right there. I have a hitch on my suburban that attaches to the frame. I'll try to get a picture next week. It looks to be pretty basic. It could be copied easily. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 | I don't think I would trust a hitch that attaches like that. Uhaul used to use something like that years ago, but as a mechanic and bodyman in those days, I saw more than one car come in bashed up by a runaway trailer.
I would suggest going to a trailer dealer and see what they recommend and go from there. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 115 | I use that exact hitch on my 50 chevy to pull a Heilite Tent trailer that weighs 350# and has a tongue weight of about 50#. http://www.heilitetrailers.com/
Brian D
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 348 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 348 | its funny this topic came up i am getting ready to build a hitch for my 49 suburban but i still want to be able to mount the spare under the burb. I am going to use a extra rear bumper and cut a hole in it to weld in a 2 inch receiver and reinforce the bumper on the inside, add two angle brackets that go to the frame | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 | its funny this topic came up i am getting ready to build a hitch for my 49 suburban but i still want to be able to mount the spare under the burb. I am going to use a extra rear bumper and cut a hole in it to weld in a 2 inch receiver and reinforce the bumper on the inside, add two angle brackets that go to the frame Sweet post up some pics of your work and steps if you will please | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 | I kept my original hitch that was on my 49 when I purchased it. I know nothing about it, but it does mount to the rear frame and was tied in behind the rear bumper brackets. I kept it because I figured it was fairly rare. It's at the shop now but if you troll through my photos before the tear down, you may be able to see it. | | |
| |
| |