The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, Danielbolt, Otto Skorzeny), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
D
dbt
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
Snow here has kept me from crawling around my, "new," 1948 6400 2-ton's engine looking for casting numbers. However, I do have the number behind the distributor which is: 55F1017N. I've spent the morning looking around the Stovebolt archives, etc., and one list suggests that if my number was F55, I'd have a 1955 235. So what's my number mean? It would be nice to find that this truck has a replacement 235 full pressure engine. No idea of it's condition yet; just trucked it home right before snow began.

Am I gaining much by this number?

Happy Thanksgiving,
Dennis

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
What are the casting numbers on the block near the starter ?


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
Looking at an original 1959 Chevrolet parts manual I found the following note regarding engine serial numbers.

"After October 1, 1956, past model service engines will show the latest year of application immediately preceding the source letter."

The source letter = 'F' means it was built in Flint, 'T' = Tonawanda

In 1954-56 serial numbers were a straight numeric serial number followed by a suffix like these used to indicate 261 engines:

1954 5000 Series F54Q, T54Q
1954 6000 Series F54N, T54N
1955 5000 1st Series F55Q or F54Q55
1955 6000 1st Series F55N or F54N55
1955 6000 2nd Series F255N, T255N
1956 6000 Series F56TA or F56TD

The book doesn't give any further information on the form of serial number that you have (like what the 'N' means).

Last edited by OlBlue; 11/26/2010 9:00 PM.

'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
D
dbt
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
Thank you both. I'd have given the block number in my first post had I been able to get to it to read it. I just came in from brushing snow off the truck and taking my camera. (Just got truck home and have yet to get it inside-but even with snow, it's very dry here)

If I can attach a photo properly here, this should help. After spending all last evening reading everything I could find on line, today I see two, what appears to me to be, "captains bars," on the block. I had begun to doubt my reading the engine number correctly, but photo also shows the, "55F."

Questions: do captain's bars ALWAYS indicate a 261 engine? (desirable engine I understand)

From last night's reading, I understand that if an engine has a rocker cover held down with four screws at the gasket flange, it is ALWAYS a high-pressure, post-1954, 235, (or 261?). (Or could it only mean it's a late model head?)

Finally, has my engine number created a new mystery to 235 experts? At this point, I'm thinking that I got lucky and got a 261.

Well, I can't see any way to post a photo. And I don't have a flicker page, etc. My photo showed two, short, vetical bars cast into the block just above the starter. It also confirmed engine number 55F..etc.

Dennis


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0