The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ponchogl, PAUL Berardi, dt235sd, Gray_Ghost, tclederman, JW51), 191 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#696958 11/21/2010 7:25 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I'm going to be putting new door glass in and I bought the tape that secures the bottom of the window to the track.

I've never done this task before ... are there any tricks to it? Anything I should know beforehand?

Thanks.

Alan


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

The glass and the tape come in different thicknesses. You want the tightest fit possible. I use the original tape-setting technique (as described in the Shop Manual) - cut the tape to fit and put motor oil in the channel and slide the tape/glass into the metal frame.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0110.html


Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Perfecto ... thanks, Tim!


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Holy Moly! The tape was a nightmare!

See here:
http://tinyurl.com/2atowcm

Alan


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Sorry to read about your problems, Alan. The glass and tape comes in different thicknesses. If you have the right combination, the Shop Manual installation process works fine. I read in your other post that you successfully resorted to a silicone solution.

When I restored the Suburban, I bought a roll of each of 4 thicknesses of tapes from (Restoration Specialties, Inc ).

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Thanks again, Tim. Looks like the silicone is gonna work fine ... also, I'm not concerned about original procedures; my truck is a street rod.

Alan


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0