The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Guitplayer, Otto Skorzeny, Perro, greenie-reddy, Hush, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 160 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69458 12/02/2006 4:28 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
I am going over the "new" 235 I am about to install in my truck. The engine is a 1959 and has hydraulic lifters. The engine has been sitting for a few years in my basement and I am sure that the lifters have leaked down.
Question: How do I tell if the lifters are any good? I have heard that you can press down on them but the ones that are in the engine don't press down.(I tried with them out of the block) I haven't tried to tap them with a hammer. Should I? I never ran the engine but was told that it was working fine just before I bought it. Again, how to tell if the lifters are any good.
Thanks. Don

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 236
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 236
Don,
If the lifters are not compressing it could mean acouple of things. One-they have not bleed down, two -( more likely)the oil that is in them has turned hard and caked. Hyd lifters don't really go bad.Sometimes the spring will get weak and then the lifter should be replaced. Most of the time they just need cleaning. You should take them apart and soak them in carb or parts cleaner for acouple of days. Here is a link on how to do it.http://chevy.tocmp.com/1959_60shop/59sms0802.htm Hope this helps.
Glenn,


Scootin thru with a 52,
Good, Economic and Classic
1952 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Blacksmithdon,

Hydraulic lifters are no more problematic than any other engine component. Put the engine in and run it...hydraulics don't have a 'pull date' on them.

By the time you install the engine, fill it with fresh oil and crank it several times to get it running, the lifters will be full and ready to go.

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Thanks guys. Also,cool site GEC52.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I,m with Automarc. Put it in & start it up. They adjust themselves. If you have them out you can tell how worn they are buy the patern on the bottom. When they are new they are slightly concave. After they have worn in good they are flat. If the bottoms are convex the cam & lifters are worn. If you do take them apart to clean do not mix any parts. They must go back in the same body.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Ok, Time to call me stupid!!!First, the lifters are obviously concave on the bottom so that is good. Here comes stupid: I now think/know they are solid. I can't press them down because there is nothing in them. I assumed that because there was a hole in the side and one in the top that they were hydraulic.
Here comes stupid move #2. I took the 848 head off of the block when I got the engine a few years ago. I put the push rods in a safe place WHICH I CAN NO LONGER FIND! I have no idea which rod length to use. Is there a chance the rods from my 261 with the 848 head will work? I am putting the 848 head from the 261 on the 235. I just don't want to torque the head down only to find that I need a different rod length. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
OK, I gotta disagree here- - - -or maybe we're not using the same definitions. Lifters need to be "convex", higher in the middle than at the edges, so a straightedge will rock slightly when placed across the bottom of the lifter. A flat bottom, or a low spot in the middle means the lifter, and the corresponding camshaft lobe, is worn out.

BTW, I'm in Dellrose, about 20 miles from you. I've been tinkering with these old bolts since the mid-1950's.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Just gets worse and worse. Oh well.
Sounds like I will need a new camshaft and lifters so I might as well just get new rods to match. Then there is the rear main seal as long as I've got it apart.
Jerry, we should get together. I'm teaching (for the first time ever!) at the Lincoln Co H.S.--welding. It's like herding cats and a lot tougher than running a smithing business or re-building a 235. Don

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 59
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 59
Jerry, Why the tag HOTROD LINCOLN ?
I've got a 58 that I TRING to restore .
Geroge Hood


1965 C-10 fleetside shortbed BLACK
82 c-10 longbed 6 cyl.
58 Lincoln 2-dr coupe Black w/white & blk.
59 lincoln 4-dr. parts car
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
George, I use the handle "Teach" on every other internet forum I'm on, since I teach high school auto mechanics, but it was already taken here. After I've had a few cold ones, the song "Hotrod Lincoln" is my favorite karaoke tune!

Don, both my kids went to LCHS. I ran the auto shop at Pulaski Vo-Tech (now Tennessee Technology Center) for 5 years, from 1985-90. I run the auto shop at McGavock High School in Donelson, TN. now. I'm building a shop at my farm in Dellrose, getting ready to retire in a year or two. Drop me a private message with a phone number or an email.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Sorry about the mixup in definitions.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 236
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 236
Don,
The pushrods for my hyd 235 are 11 1/4". I got a new set at Napa. They were $3.50 apiece. Be sure to specify the year though. I don't know if they change.

Glenn,


Scootin thru with a 52,
Good, Economic and Classic
1952 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Don, I have a complete "ran when parked" 235 in a 1959 3800 series 1-ton flatbed. The truck will never see the road again, as I'm slowly parting it out. I think the head is cracked, or possibly it has a burned valve. It was missing on one cylinder when I retired the truck. I parked it back in the late 80's, so it's probably stuck by now. If you want all or part of the engine, get in touch. I know there's a full set of pushrods there.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0