The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, Rusted Nut, 55shaker, Lightholder's Dad), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,305
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Sometime ago someone mentioned that he machined a 235 crankshaft from a later (full pressure) engine to fit a 216 engine.
I am not sure if it was mentioned here or in another forum.
Does anyone know anything about this modification?
I am planning to rebuild the 216 from my Greek truck and I should like to make it as reliable as possible so this should be a good idea. The Greek legislation does not allow any other size engine in vehicles, other than what the original size was, otherwise I should prefer a later 235.
Thank you

Jianis

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
You'll have to have pistons made to suit. The 216's lower deck makes the 216 piston too tall with the new stroke.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I believe, certain year 235's can be disguised to look just like a 216. There have been post's on this topic.

Good luck

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1941-49 235s look just like 216s from the outside. They are 1/8" taller.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
the early 235's 42-53 look exactly like 216's. the WWII chevy army trucks used a 235 and after the war several europian countries used them so try contacting military surplus/ colectors, etc. and you should be able to find a 235.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I should add, 1941-49 235s are still splash engines, not that I have anything against the splash system.

It was not the splash system that killed these engines, but the fact that all splash engines used cast iron pistons. This puts extreme load on the rods at today's speed limits.

If aluminum pistons are used during the rebuild these are very reliable engines.

If you use a 1941-49 235, everything but the block, crank and cam can be used from your 216.

garandboy is not quite correct in his post. only 1941-49 235s had a full side cover like the 216. These 235s can be found in most 1 1/2 and 2 ton Chev trucks.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
I stand corrected, still learning blush dang

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Panic Lucas Garand and Dave

Thank you for all the ideas.
Unfortunately the Greek ministry of transport has a mean system to prevent that people are tempering with stolen car engines.
They either require a bill from a garage installing your engine mentioning the size engine number age and manufacturer etc.That will set you back some $ 2000 for work and taxes...
Another solution is getting an engine from an official dealer with a bill mentioning all the above.
Finally after the engine is installed it has to be checked and they make a trace of the engine Number with pencil on a piece of paper that goes in your cars file.
I know all this as I had to install a re manufactured engine engine in my 68 Volvo a few years ago.

Dave

I am planing to use aluminum pistons as they are lighter so they have lower inertia but will it really make all that difference?
By the way if I ever get the time I should like to travel around the USA with my Dutch Fleetmaster.

Jianis

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Are you wanting to make your 216 pressurized? Or are you looking for the extra cubic inches?

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
will it really make all that difference?
Yes.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Don Stocker

The idea is to make the 216 pressurized.

Jianis

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have seen posts about some shops doing machining to make a later 235 crankshaft fit. Is it possible for a shop to cross drill an old 216 crankshaft?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0