Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53),
236
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,172 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 16 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 16 | Can some or one of the "experienced" tell me if the Stainless Steel windshield trim can be in stalled with the windshield already mounted with a new gasket?
Jon Nashville, TN
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Im not "experienced" Done it one time check out this thread https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...;Main=96618&Number=667666#Post667666it wont go in if the windshield is installed on the truck Maybe an experienced person can post up and confirm , this was on a two piece windshiled. may not apply to your truck good luck
Last edited by DADS50; 11/04/2010 6:16 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Jon, sorry to tell you,but the trim should be installed in the rubber before the whole assembly is fitted. I've heard tales of woe concerning this,and it is nigh on impossible to do after the windshield is in. You run the risk of tearing up your new rubber,bending the trims and not to mention the possibility of damaging the surrounding paint etc. I've just recently rectified a customer of mines Jensen for the very same reason. I had to remove the windshield and start over again. 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | It would be impossible to install the 54/55 stainless trim without damage (no matter what combination of swear words and other invectives are used).
It's hard enough trying to install them correctly with the windshield out.
Most likely you are aware that the windshield rubber seal is different when using the stainless trim?
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 188 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 188 | Not an easy job, I tried rubber from three sources before I got one I could work with, the ones made in Thailand didn't work for me at all.
I put the rubber on the windshield, held in place with tape, then fitted the shainless into the rubber, not easy, held in place with tape.
Now inserted the rope wetted with watered down liquid detergent. Then sit the assembly onto the bottom lip of the cab. Used the method in the maintenance manual, got to the top edge with two helpers, couldn't get the top to snap in. Next day applied even pressure across the whole top edge of the windshield assembly, it popped in, Never had to bang on it with my hand. I looked at in disbelief, done.
I’ve heard that rubber from Steele is the best, the one I used was from CounterParts.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Congratulations. Thanks for the report.
I gave up on the last two that I tried (using Steele and others). I will not give up on the next two that I am now working on.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 188 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 188 | Even pressure across the top: with the top of the windshield a little less that 8ft from my garage wall, using three 1x3 by 8ft cedar (very flexible) I spaced them evenly across the top of the windshield, with the opposite end against the wall, one by one I increased the bow in the boards by moving the wall-end lower and lower, then manipulated the rubber seal into place. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Don | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 | You're right, that does sound crazy. But it's great that it worked! | | |
| |