The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, jay d, Hotrod Lincoln, ‘37ChevyPU), 173 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,262
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Does anyone know of any non-custom piston that has the same physical dimensions and wrist pin height as the stock Chevy 292 piston.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
The only piston I have found so far that comes close to what you are asking are the Federal Mogul LPG pistons. The LPG pistons will get you 9.0:1 compression. I've gone thru the diametrical listing at Keith Blacks (Silvolite cast pistons) web site. Here's a link to the listing

http://kb-silvolite.com/spistons.php?action=diam

The problem is the compression hieght of 2.09 inches. Without going to a longer rod lenght (which doesn't seem to exist) there doesn't seem to be an alternative to forged pistons if you want 10.0:1 or better compression.

If you do find something please let me know.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Larry,

Thanks for that information. There are several listed on that page that come close, specifically the International Harvester 2.5L 4 cyl & 5L v8 applications. Compression height is almost .2 inch too high though. And any modifications to make them work, without expert knowledge, would be very risky and not worth saving a few bucks over buying professionally designed custom pistons.

I already have the LPG pistons (in fact I have 3 sets). But since they weigh as much as the stock pistons I was hoping to find a low cost, easy fit lightweight piston that would fit the same. But as I think more about it for the next build, since I'm going for naturally aspirated peak torque, I don't need to worry about turning lots of RPMs anyways.

-ftyler

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
You might want to look at the 3481hc used in the GM 366 BB truck motor. It looks to be lighter and the skirts are coated. The compression hieght is 2.1. The bore is 3.9375, so you would have to bore .0625 over. The pin is .9898 and the 292 is .9273, .0625 difference. I'll check with my machine shop before we order custom pistons. The compression hieght shouldn't be a problem. I know of one 250 that is high compression and has .0625 fly cut from the 307 pistons. My deck clearance is .062-.072, so I should only need to cut about .052 aprox.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
ftyler, if you have 3 sets of LPG pistons, would you consider selling a set? I would like to raise the compression on my 292. Are they std. or oversize?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0