The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (BC59, Phak1, Gray_Ghost, Southerntruck, 2-Ton, Forty9), 131 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,685
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68628 11/15/2006 1:36 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
Hi, all!
My twuck is a '55 First Series 5-window with a 235 1957 engine. The radiator is the high brass tank 4# original(I think)but the core leaks through all the mashing it's taken over the years. I was tootling around looking at getting the rad out and into a rad shop when I remembered that the rad is a tad higher than the engine fan blade. The blades actually extend (spins) 1/3 below the rad! The rad is fully seated in its mounting frame.
I have no history details on the years-ago engine swap (to the '57/235) or any other mods done to the rad, etc. So my quest now is to determine whether fan/rad position is normal for the year and model(3100).
It would be handy if I could compare some pics of other similar engine bay front ends.
Appreciate any help, guys. Wayne

#68629 11/15/2006 2:12 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Welcome to the board. The situation you describe is par for the course when a later 235 is put in an AD truck. If it cools OK I wouldn't worry about it.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#68630 11/15/2006 2:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
Thanks for the welcome!

Yer probably right but it must be the old techie in me, as it still bugs me. How could a '57 be any different than a '54? Wouldn't the engine mounts be the same ..or.. hmmm.. I wonder if, when the last owner retro'd to a 4 speed (on the floor) Borg he had to (somehow) drop the engine to make the tranny fit?

#68631 11/15/2006 2:26 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The '55 first and older 235s are a different animal from the '55 second and newer 235. The waterpump sits higher on the older engines. It also has a shorter shaft. The water pump shaft on your engine has been shortened to make it clear the radiator. There is an adapter available to use the early engine water pump on the late engines and someone will soon chime in saying you need one. I still say if it doesn't overheat, you're OK with what you have. I ran one for years in a '55 first I had in the '80s.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#68632 11/15/2006 2:28 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226


What it will say on my Tombstone: "Boy, that guy sure owed alotta people Money"
#68633 11/15/2006 3:03 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
To properly position the fan, you need to purchase an adaptor plate (pre68 Dave, on this site) that uses the old style waterpump. Both 3/8 and 5/8" pulley width pumps are available from NAPA. The plate requires drilling and tapping a couple holes but you use the adaptor plate as a guide and for the most part it is not that complicated. This moves the fan up about 4" and gives you additional fan/radiator clearance.

I tried a "short pump" in my 56 engine in a 54 truck and found that the $40. adaptor plate and earlier pump (41-54) was "the" solution to my cooling and clearance problems. This also allows you to use a stock water pump that is readily available over-the-counter.

The instruction sheet he provides is detailed and warns that you should avoid using a 55-62 passenger car balancer as it will overspin the pump.

I have a couple pictures of the early pump and the adaptor plate on pg 3 of my webshots "shoebox". I hope this helps.


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#68634 11/15/2006 3:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
W
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
Fatweed I bet ole' Pluto makes anyone driving anything smaller that a Cadillac tuck their tails and get out of the way.


1937 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Gallery
#68635 11/15/2006 3:10 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
" The '55 first and older 235s are a different animal from the '55 second and newer 235. The waterpump sits higher on the older engines. It also has a shorter shaft. The water pump shaft on your engine has been shortened to make it clear the radiator. There is an adapter available to use the early engine water pump on the late engines and someone will soon chime in saying you need one. I still say if it doesn't overheat, you're OK with what you have. I ran one for years in a '55 first I had in the '80s. "


Ah.. ok. That makes sense now that it's been explained. I won't go and recheck as it's sitting outside in the dark and rain, but I do recall that the shaft seemed awfully close to the rad. Does that adapter actually reposition the shaft (& fan) higher or does it just provide a shorter shaft? And nah, it seems to cool fine in the summer ..well it did until the rad problem er-occurred after I kept sticking BarsLeak in it to help it along. The guage is now starting to creep upwards - - good thing it's getting into winter - - and the rad is starting to leak again.
So far as the rad goes, my hunch is that with one of the newer cores installed (and engine cooling flushed), I may be able to either run the rad at higher pressure(?) or it will just cool better with the newer technology. So yes, the new rad will probably negate any need for repositioning the pump or fan ..just a hunch ;^)

#68636 11/15/2006 4:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
Thanks, David (Fla54Chevy3100). What a great series of pics you have on your site. I will bookmark it for project reference later. I see what you mean by the adapter. I helps explain the description left by "cletis". If it means I have to screw around with a drill and tap routine then I may forget the idea until there's more incentive on my part ..it's coming on winter and the garage is full of other plans. David, did you also have your rad re-cored? If so, do you keep it at the same 4 lbs. pressure?

#68637 11/15/2006 6:19 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
There is one other choice - add an electric fan on the outside of the radiator up high on the radiator. That can also fix the problem. You can use a thermal self activated switch set to come on at a certain temp or you can have a switch in the cab you can turn on when you need it. Works good!

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
#68638 11/15/2006 7:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
Good suggestion. However, I would think the fan would have to be at least 12vdc to be efficient.
My truck's still in the dark ages with 6 vdc.

#68639 11/15/2006 11:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
I went through similar problems with my 1940 when I put in a '55 235. Check out the lessons learned I wrote up here:
http://oldgmctrucks.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/462107036/m/4471020781

After trying the short shaft water pump, I went to the adapter plate and 53-54 216 water pump and everything worked fine.

Here is a pic with the short shaft pump that was too low:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1479818654067858381yEqjEk

Here is a shot of the motor installed with the adapter plate and '53-'54 pump.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1506214624067858381lUqIIS

Steve


See my 1940 Canadian GMC:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndnchf

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0