Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
73
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,474 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 17 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 17 | My ride has wheel and tire set-ups that look more appropriate to a Viper than a 53 Chevy with the original six in it.
Where are some good places to get wheels? What was the original size?
I want to look at both used and reproduction/new.
hugh | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 68 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 68 | I found original wheels and the same type wheels for years past 53 at a junkyard. They were 20 dollars each. Most junkyards do not have cars and trucks from the 50s and 60s, the 70s for that matter. Look around and you will find one that has many of the types you need. I was able to get a heater control valve, windshield wiper switch assmbly and radio blank plate with the bolts at the yard near me. Good luck. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | I am betting that an ad in the swap meet would locate you some original wheels for your truck..
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 17 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 17 | Thanks for the suggestions.
Hugh | | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 69 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2000 Posts: 69 | I have a 53 1/2 ton. Original tires were 6.00x16. You could mount 6.50x16 on the rear for added load capacity. I rebuilt my truck a few years ago and changed to new wheels and radials. After new kingpins, other front end work, new shocks and a good tight steering box, I still kept experiencing the front end jumping around on uneven pavement, like where the two lanes of asphalt meet and form a seam at the centerline. The reason was those old bias belt tires. I did a lot of research and got a lot of advice, some from this list. Some said you can run radials on the original rims (which if I recall are around 5 1/2 inches wide). Others said that was too narrow for radials and was unsafe. Still others said radials on the original rims were OK, but I'd need tubes because the old rims might not seal. I elected to get new wheels. 15x7 smooth wheels from Obsolete Chevrolet. They get them from California and I'm sure there are many vendors...You just have to make sure you get the right offset so the tires or wheels don't rub. I married the wheels with 215/75 radials. The reason I used these sizes was because at that time, I found few reasonably priced 16" whitewall radials, and the new combination seems to come closest to the original wheels/tires' circumference, so the speedometer is accurate. I sent my original hubcaps along to Obsolete and the California outfit modified them to fit the new wheels, which have bumps instead of clips like the originals. Well, long story. I like the look...it's very close to original, but the ride and handling are so improved, it's hard to believe. Here are some pix of the truck with shots of the wheels. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1784934&a=13816194&f=0 | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | You did a lot of great work Texaholic, nice looking truck.
I am thinking about making the change to radials as well. You are right, there are lots of conflicting opinions as to what will and won't work.. Yours seemed like a good solution...
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 32 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 32 | Texaholic, I am interested in knowing how the hubcaps are modified to fit the "nub" wheels. Can you maybe post a picture of the back side of the hubcap. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Add my name to the list of people that want to see that back side of those hubcaps!!!! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 68 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 68 | My wheels are newer six lug wheels, not the originals. I bought new hubcaps from a vendor out in Cal. Anyway, I got them home and they did not fit my wheels. I scratched my head and then went to work. First thing I did was to use a cutting wheel and made three cuts in the inside of the hubcap. one at the top and the other two on the bottom right and left. Kinda like a peace symbol if you connected them to the center. I then used a rubber mallet and slowly tapped the inside rim to decrease the circumference of it. After the hubcap would fit flush into the wheel, I drilled holes into the wheel where the lug holes are on the edge where the inside wall rises. Is that clear? Then I screwed the hubcap clips with self tapping screws into the wheel. The hubcaps fit like a glove. Basically all your doing is moving the wheel clips out a little farther than they originally are. | | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 69 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2000 Posts: 69 | I've had several requests for pix and description of the modification to my hubcaps so they fit more modern wheels without clips. I sent a description and photos to Old Car Kook, who will post them on the SB list. In the meantime, 54-me if you'll E-mail me so I have your address, I'll E-mail you the pix too. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Rob: Here are pix of the caps and wheel (this is my spare, so the paint is a little bunged up). The modification consists of a metal collar that is tack-welded to the flat inner surface of the original or repop hubcap. The collar fits very tightly into the center of the new wheels and the bumps on the wheel fit into the groove in the collar Hope you can see how. I obtained these from Obsolete Chevrolet 800-248-8785. I dealt with Rick, if he is still there. The modifications were done by the same people in CA who sold the wheels. The modification was $15/wheel, including shipping back and forth to CA. Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4 Photo 5 Photo 6 So it looks pretty slick. Basically a metal ring is scabbed on top of the rim and a matching collar for the cap is scabbed on the cap so that it will just sit on top of the rim. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 32 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 32 | | | |
| |