| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,123 Posts1,056,653 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 | I am having a difficult time trying to find what the rear end I have under my AD truck is out of. I will tell you what I do know. I have the following numbers off the rear end: GM 24, K116, 389486 (with letter N above it), on the tube it says HI 05 25 W. I have tried searching for these numbers in the codes but have had no luck. I have jacked up the rear end to spin the tires. They spin opposite directions so I have an open differential. Any help is greatly appreciated! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | A photo of the rear cover would help a lot.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 48 | I went to the chevy dealer parts dpartment, they have access to all the info you need, I was in the same boat and wanted to verify what the seller told me after I bought my rear,, they were more than willing to help..I will look for the printout they gave me but I kinda think I chucked it, good luck hope this helps... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 | A photo of the rear cover would help a lot. Here is a picture of the rear end. http://tinypic.com/r/314avjn/7 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 | The only thing I can find with a "N" by the casting number comes on a Chevelle rear end. I am going to double check the "HI" to see if it might be a "KI". If anyone else has any other ideas please let me know what I can try. Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | If you google 'gm rear axle identification' you'll get a number of links to drawings of rear covers and what rear they are from.
It looks to me like a 7.5 from an S-10 but I may be missing something.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 8 | If you google 'gm rear axle identification' you'll get a number of links to drawings of rear covers and what rear they are from.
It looks to me like a 7.5 from an S-10 but I may be missing something. I looked at a lot of these links. The picture of the rear end I have has the "eyebrow" shape which every link says it's a 8.2 10 bolt. I did some checking and found out that a chevy G10 van has the HI code, now I am trying to research if these vans came with an 8.2 10 bolt rear end in 1966. (1966 is what the K116 number tells me) | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | The picture of the rear end I have has the "eyebrow" shape which every link says it's a 8.2 10 bolt. I went back and rechecked the links I initially looked at and none of them showed the eyebrow. However I checked a few more and did find the eyebrow as an 8.2. I think you have your answer.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |